Free to me GMC 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well this trucks getting some serious miles put on it this week. I foolishly told my buddy I’d help him reseal the front of his 180k miles 2016 4runner. WOW this is a serious PITA! Two days later and we just barely got the font cover sealed and bolted up. Still have to installed the other 10hours worth of garbage, crazy that you have to remove the AC compressor to remove the belt tensioner. I’m thinking we should have bombed those **** a few more times back in WWII.

Anyway he’s borrowing the GMC since he never learned stick and it’s my only auto. He lives an hour from me and work two hours further away! So easily going to put 200 + miles a day on the poor thing. Hopefully we can get his crap put back together tomorrow and I can get my baby back.

BTW Toyota quoted $8.4k to do this job, it’s a PITa but not worth that much!

Attachments

• IMG_3254.jpeg
    IMG_3254.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3257.jpeg
    IMG_3257.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3255.jpeg
    IMG_3255.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 9

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well this trucks getting some serious miles put on it this week. I foolishly told my buddy I’d help him reseal the front of his 180k miles 2016 4runner. WOW this is a serious PITA! Two days later and we just barely got the font cover sealed and bolted up. Still have to installed the other 10hours worth of garbage, crazy that you have to remove the AC compressor to remove the belt tensioner. I’m thinking we should have bombed those **** a few more times back in WWII.

Anyway he’s borrowing the GMC since he never learned stick and it’s my only auto. He lives an hour from me and work two hours further away! So easily going to put 200 + miles a day on the poor thing. Hopefully we can get his crap put back together tomorrow and I can get my baby back.

OMG reminds me of one of the reasons I got rid of that shovel nose Phord with the 5.4 Triton in it. Way too complicated and complex for this wrench!
Picture below of small block Chevy engine is "borrowed" from gmsb.com....this is what I can handle working on. One timing chain, two gears, no BS....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240826-205520.png
    Screenshot_20240826-205520.png
    842 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
OMG reminds me of one of the reasons I got rid of that shovel nose Phord with the 5.4 Triton in it. Way too complicated and complex for this wrench!
the whole ford modular engine family is just plain bad finishing up on a v10 box truck right now some dumba$$ merged going on to the highway in 1st gear over reved it destroyed 4 pistons 4 rods and put hole in the block on each side and some that junky triton was able to run on the 6 remaining cylinders

Last edited:

99xcss4

Reaction score

what a nightmare is that a 3 or a 4 valve

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picture below of small block Chevy engine is "borrowed" from gmsb.com....this is what I can handle working on. One timing chain, two gears, no BS....

On my Tahoe (Gen3 ls) I’ve done heads and cams swaps in a day by myself. That’s starting by pulling the truck into the shop and driving it out by dinner time. Sooo much better than this garbage to work on!

what a nightmare is that a 3 or a 4 valve

No idea honestly it’s the dual VVTI 4.0 that comes in all the 5th gen 4Runners. Good motor, plenty of power, decent MPG, and reliable, but I guess they leak and you have to be a maniac to want to seal it yourself.

99xcss4

Reaction score
it’s the dual VVTI 4.0 that comes in all the 5th gen 4Runners. Good motor, plenty of power, decent MPG, and reliable, but I guess they leak and you have to be a maniac to want to seal it yourself.
oh when I saw HWB talking about fords I thought you were working on one

Last edited:

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buddy has put 1k miles on this truck in a week! He’s killing me but we are almost done with his stupid 4runner. Havent had a ton of time to work on it together and most of it is a 3 handed job.

I did get to change the rear axle fluid in the gmc tho between helping with his truck. To my surprise and great pleasure the fluid looked awesome! The magnet plug had almost nothing, and the gears looked really good IMO. However, the drivetrain noise is still very obviously there. I’m wondering I’m maybe the truck needs Ujoints, when I jiggle the driveshafts they seem fine but I guess I’ve never had a u joint slowly fail, only catastrophicly during clutch dumps lol.

Also kinda cool if anyone’s into boats, I picked up a 12’ 1975 Sears Sea Nymph along with 2 trolling motors, and a 5hp 4stroke Honda for $500! Already tested the trolling motors but the Honda needed the carb cleaned. Going to tomorrow to test it first thing in the morning.

Attachments

• IMG_3359.jpeg
    IMG_3359.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3363.jpeg
    IMG_3363.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3345.jpeg
    IMG_3345.jpeg
    541.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3351.jpeg
    IMG_3351.jpeg