Free to me GMC 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Totally unrelated but is there a way I can edit the first few posts on this thread? I was going to use the second post to update things I’ve done to the truck to keep track.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good news bad news from my hour working on it before work today.

Good news is the belt looked worse than I remember and the idler pulley was really bad. The bearing was ready to seize any moment and it made considerable noise just spinning by hand. I’m not thinking possibly the bearing in the pulley might be the noise I’ve been hearing and maybe not the rear end. Time will tell.

Bad news is the racetronix Hotwire kit has different connectors than my truck. The kit clearly says for 88-96 trucks and this is a 96 but the connectors on the kit are 4 pin and the truck is 3. Gonna have to get a hold of them to sort that out. Not going to wait on that to finish up the fuel tank after work today tho. Kinda strange the racetronix 4 pin connector only has 3 wires going to it, not sure why they used a 4pin connector for 3 wires, maybe it’s a manufacturer issues.

also noticed a piece of the plastic that’s supposed to retain the tank level float was broken off the new spectra hanger. To be fair I might have broken it and not noticed. I used a small zip tie to retain it and not block the motion of it. Tank is sealed back up with the new Walbro sock and pump as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3201.jpeg
    IMG_3201.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3200.jpeg
    IMG_3200.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3197.jpeg
    IMG_3197.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3195.jpeg
    IMG_3195.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3194.jpeg
    IMG_3194.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 7

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow racetronix emailed back already and is forwarding my message to the fuel pump kit guy on their team. I’m shocked I got a reply within two hours, iirc I have emailed their customer service in the past and got crazy quick response then too.

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No no your right it’s for fuel tank not trans, but it is aluminum for the fuel tank! Unless I’m remember wrong and it’s steel and was painted light AL colored, but I’m 99% sure it’s not steel. Been a few years since I had it down, it’s a nice piece tho.

I was shocked when I discovered the fuel tank was metal on these trucks. It has a nice plastic covering around it that had me fooled.
I've never seen an aluminum shield back there. That would be cool. I have the steel one, along with the heavy plastic liner tub, laying on a shelf for absolutely no reason as my current burb has good ones on it already. Should probably list it in for sale section for someone, as I know some burbs did not come with a metal shield. They do take up quite a bit of space on a shelf and then get filled up with other stuff and, voila, permanent resident.