Free to me GMC 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m such an idiot! I don’t know how I did this but I ordered the racetronix wiring harness for a 88-96 C4 corvette. It says C4 all over the place and somehow I was locked in the 96 GM part.

Oh well I’ll take the restocking hit, or just buy the proper connector and repin them myself.

Truck is back together and man fuel tanks are always more difficult to put up than down. It’s like gravity is fighting you or something. The new pump is nearly silent, instead of sounding like a 2,000 horsepower frame mounted fuel pump. I do have some worry’s about the fuel level sender tho. Before I dropped the tank it said over a quarter tank, now it’s saying almost on E. I know I didn’t loose that much in the lines, and I didn’t spill any that I remember. Hopefully when I fill up tomorrow it looks normal and we will see how it goes from there

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m such an idiot! I don’t know how I did this but I ordered the racetronix wiring harness for a 88-96 C4 corvette. It says C4 all over the place and somehow I was locked in the 96 GM part.

Oh well I’ll take the restocking hit, or just buy the proper connector and repin them myself.

Truck is back together and man fuel tanks are always more difficult to put up than down. It’s like gravity is fighting you or something. The new pump is nearly silent, instead of sounding like a 2,000 horsepower frame mounted fuel pump. I do have some worry’s about the fuel level sender tho. Before I dropped the tank it said over a quarter tank, now it’s saying almost on E. I know I didn’t loose that much in the lines, and I didn’t spill any that I remember. Hopefully when I fill up tomorrow it looks normal and we will see how it goes from there
Didn’t you say you damaged the float or was it something else.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn’t you say you damaged the float or was it something else.
Just part of the retaining clip for it. I secured it extra gooder with a zip tie and made sure it cycled properly, but that doesn’t mean it’s not off a bit.

Also the sender before was not very accurate, so I’ll just keep track of mileage per tank like I always do with every vehicle and learn as I go.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just part of the retaining clip for it. I secured it extra gooder with a zip tie and made sure it cycled properly, but that doesn’t mean it’s not off a bit.

Also the sender before was not very accurate, so I’ll just keep track of mileage per tank like I always do with every vehicle and learn as I go.
Adding just a zip tie to what I would think is balanced float might be enough to change it’s accuracy.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Adding just a zip tie to what I would think is balanced float might be enough to change it’s accuracy.
It was at the side where the float connects to the sender, not in the float side. So I don’t think that would affect it much, but who knows. I feel like fuel senders are black magic. I’ve had a few different bucket sender conglomerations in my Tahoe and each one seems to change how the gauge reads.

I’m so impressed with how quiet this pump is. When I was cycling the key I had to turn my shop fan off, turn the AC and radio off in the truck, roll down the window and shut the door so the dinger wasn’t dinging, and take my one EarPod out. Just to hear it prime! It also primes for half the time it used too.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel gauge seems pretty accurate. It’s wayyyy past the first hash mark but not as far as it was before. Before it would stay on F for 100+ miles then suddenly jump around to 3/4. Hopefully it is now nice and smooth.

Also I suppose it was lower on fuel than I expected because it took 21.5gallons and the gauge was showing just above E. That seems pretty correct to me.

Here’s a pretty bad picture of the ground, gonna do the same thing for the rear ground to maybe fit the lights.

Attachments

• IMG_3212.jpeg
    IMG_3212.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Fuel gauge seems pretty accurate. It’s wayyyy past the first hash mark but not as far as it was before. Before it would stay on F for 100+ miles then suddenly jump around to 3/4. Hopefully it is now nice and smooth.

Also I suppose it was lower on fuel than I expected because it took 21.5gallons and the gauge was showing just above E. That seems pretty correct to me.

Here’s a pretty bad picture of the ground, gonna do the same thing for the rear ground to maybe fit the lights.
Does your truck have the 34 gallon tank? My crew cab does, and the gas gauge behaves similarly. Most every GM product we've had did....
On my truck, when the gauge reads 1/4, it takes around 25-26 gallons to fill up. And it takes a bit to come past the F; full actually is about a needle width past F.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does your truck have the 34 gallon tank? My crew cab does, and the gas gauge behaves similarly. Most every GM product we've had did....
On my truck, when the gauge reads 1/4, it takes around 25-26 gallons to fill up. And it takes a bit to come past the F; full actually is about a needle width past F.
I don’t believe it does since it’s an ECSB. I wish it did tho!

I can second that most Gm trucks I’ve had have strange fuel gauge characteristics. My Tahoe now the E light seems to come on in the last gallon of fuel. Used to be I could drive 100 miles on E

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I don’t believe it does since it’s an ECSB. I wish it did tho!

I can second that most Gm trucks I’ve had have strange fuel gauge characteristics. My Tahoe now the E light seems to come on in the last gallon of fuel. Used to be I could drive 100 miles on E
The short bed regular cab has a 26 gallon tank. I think anything long bed has the 34 gallon tank, and I thought the ex cabs had them too?