How to wire electric fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do ever notice your repeating what you said before? #3
Yes, kinda sorta but, different. I was simply mentioning that the heads are the same no matter which side they go on in case someone didn't know. It's the same as accessory mounting bolts - one end has 3 and the other has 5. :33:

Oakr11

Reaction score
I have bought aftermarket dual efans and im stuck on where to put my temperature switch on my 89 silverado. Im using this wiring harness for it
You must be registered for see images attach
I had to upgrade the fans for my big block. I bought 95 watt fan motors to fix mine.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your success with e-fans depends on a few things.
1. how good is your current cooling system radiator thermostat water pump hoses and heater core.
2.what brand quality and how the E fans mount.

If you are using the cheap cage fan with zip ties through the radiator core expect mixed results. if you're using fans that have a shroud you'll have better results.

A clutch fan is a KISS principle. unless the clutch goes bad or the belt breaks they just work.

Chevy Camaros came with dual E fans. so dual fans can easily keep your engine cool. The reason they word is because they were designed to work with a shroud.

If your fans are the mount to the rad core with zip ties you're wasting time. Get a dual fan with shroud kit for a GMT400.

As far as the wiring and how to you can put the sensor in one of the block plugs where the cooling jacket is as long as it can physically screw in and doesn't hit anything. Another way to do it is to buy a thermostat housing with a temp sensor port. Always run the wiring through. relay where the sensor turns on a relay and the main power to the fans goes through the relay NOT the sensor or a switch