Reman Steering Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He made a mind blowing catch in the Patriots Superbowl comeback win over the Falcons. Seriously, no, they all might as well be from the same couple of plants in China or Mexico.
Lollll, seems like finding a decent steering box is difficult.

I can always try an Edelmann and return it if it sucks. Do like this description, seems like they come with a factory inspection sheet, and a unique id for every box

You must be registered for see images attach

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my Redhead for $356 plus $48 shipping from Redhead ($404 total).

It's the 2864L-LM-3T (for a K2500 3/4 ton).

It's still brand new. I just decided to use all Borgeson components after I had purchased the Redhead in the beginning of my build. Which is actually better — no idea.

If you are interested, I can sell you my new Redhead for $325 shipped. Otherwise, it's just going to sit on my garage shelf as a spare.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/xxxparagonxxx’s-1999-chevrolet-k2500-crew-cab.56388/#post-1221172

I guess the folks at redhead are convinced their box is boa! :)

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I can always try an Edelmann and return it if it sucks. Do like this description, seems like they come with a factory inspection sheet, and a unique id for every box

I feel you are on the right track by getting a new box and that you will have a better chance at a good solution. Another thing you may want to look at is, if the box you are interested in is sold on Azon, take a look at the number of pos vs neg reviews as addtl info. Otherwise, buy a coupl of junkyard boxes tear them down, buy the rebuild kits (fairly cheap) and become a subject matter expert, at that point you will KNOW what you are putting in your truck but requires a big up front time investment which is why i say new box sounds like the best bet.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel you are on the right track by getting a new box and that you will have a better chance at a good solution. Another thing you may want to look at is, if the box you are interested in is sold on Azon, take a look at the number of pos vs neg reviews as addtl info. Otherwise, buy a coupl of junkyard boxes tear them down, buy the rebuild kits (fairly cheap) and become a subject matter expert, at that point you will KNOW what you are putting in your truck but requires a big up front time investment which is why i say new box sounds like the best bet.
Yeah I think a new steering box will be WAY better than what I have. I don’t need a 100% perfect tight steering, just not 5 inches of slop lol.

I did consider getting another NAPA one then doing a proper adjustment to it, the NAPA one felt fine but just had like 2 inches of center slop. It might be worth trying again and doing the preload adjustment. I’m sure that won’t be seized.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Companies always say glowing things about themselves. Like this:

But this one’s straight from China!
Gyxcelxp Power Steering Gear Box Compatible with 1988-2000 C2500 C3500 C3500HD K1500 K2500 Suburban K3500 Replace OE 27-7539 26015819 26036043
https://a.co/d/beIq6Y0

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Companies always say glowing things about themselves. Like this:

But this one’s straight from China!
Hard to find something not from China anymore lol.

Think I will try a NAPA one again and adjusting it before I put it in.

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounded like they were trying pretty hard! "lubricated with only the finest unicorn farts" or "a rainbow included in each box" :)

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey folks, still haven’t settled on a steering box option yet, but I do have a question,

I am considering going to the junkyard to pull one, because there I can turn the steering wheels in all the trucks and see if they’re tight or not, and if they are then bingo I found a good box.

Only problem is, my truck is a 94 and a lot of them there are 96+, so they’d have EVO in a lot of them.

Are the EVO steering boxes the same as the older pre-EVO era boxes? Wondering if the EVO only impacts the PS pump and not the gearbox. Also the box being a few years newer is a little more enticing lol.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright y’all, had TERRIBLE luck with an OEM box,

the adjustment point by the input shaft was totally seized, couldn’t get it to move at all.

So I figured, hey maybe it’s not that worn out I’ll toss it in and wiggle the steering wheel to see how much play it has.

Did that, and boy there’s like 5 inches of play in the wheel, the worst I’ve ever put in the truck.

So now, truck is getting parked and im going to save for a redhead or bluetop box, which box would you guys recommend?
I went with a RedHead, very happy with it. Steering was tight when I first had it put in, but seems to have loosened up a bit. Slop is gone. Seems like a quality rebuild to me.