GMT800 steering box into GMT400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfarr67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may be wrong- but your box would be Saginaw GMT series.
The solenoid came with vortec 96-98 I think for dual batteries, which right now I run only one.
The last pic is the Delphi box I was avoiding which you will see in almost all GM pickup with the three bolt input cover.
I don't know why- but some trucks I did look at had the Saginaw, whether they are application/assembly plant specific or GM didn't have enough supply of the Delphi- don't know.
Note that regardless of what is cast on the body, I am referring to Saginaw as the 60's designed gear that came in everything vs the Delphi that showed up in the 2000's.
I have a Borgeson shaft sitting on the shelf, even with their isolator I found it had too much transmitted vibration/noise. The rag joint is quieter.

Last edited:

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lee built-right?)
I mean... Who? The guy sold you a box with a buggered bolt hole.
Most of the steering gear threads seem to boil down to Blue Top, Redhead, or Lares. No matter how you slice it, it's all the same 20-30 year old housings with differing levels of new parts and craftsmanship.

dfarr67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean... Who? The guy sold you a box with a buggered bolt hole.
Most of the steering gear threads seem to boil down to Blue Top, Redhead, or Lares. No matter how you slice it, it's all the same 20-30 year old housings with differing levels of new parts and craftsmanship.
Well....Lee and Sweet were supposed to be a cut above. Thread is about alternative box's that fit. and work competantly.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may be wrong- but your box would be Saginaw 800 series.
The solonoid came with vortec 96-98 I think for dual battereis, which right now I run only one.
The last pic is the Delphii box I was avoiding which you will see in almost all GM pickup with the three bolt input cover.
I don't know why- but some trucks I did look at had the Saginaw, whether they are application/assembly plant specific or GM didn't have enough supply of the Delphi- don't know.
Note that regardless of what is cast on the body, I am referring to Saginaw as the 60's designed gear that came in everything vs the Delphi that showed up in the 2000's.
I have a Boresan shaft sitting on the shelf, even with their isolator I found it had too much transmitted vibration/noise. The rag joint is quieter.
I didnt know they put those in gmt800, and they are much bigger
You must be registered for see images attach

this is a 800 i think in a 1980 gmc k25 with C6P (if that mattered) (thats mine too)