GMT800 steering box into GMT400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfarr67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s a forum…sometimes people have questions, it’s not Facebook.
Too much sarcasm? point is I don't know why getting a good quality rebuild at a reasonable price is such a hassle for steering box's. Be glad you don't have an issue- maintain your oem box.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too much sarcasm? point is I don't know why getting a good quality rebuild at a reasonable price is such a hassle for steering box's. Be glad you don't have an issue- maintain your oem box.
Yeah…it’s the internet, typed words seem to cause lots of issues. I get the whole issue with steering boxes even though I’m not experiencing one yet, but I’m paying attention. I to would’ve thought that Lee was a good box. Another member here just had Turn One rebuild his, I hope that works out. Keep us posted on yours, a few others have done that too.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, now I know where the goofy-looking aftermarket boxes from Borgeson and others cribbed their design from.

Who knows? Maybe the Delphi, Borgeson, and the third vendor who's name I forget, all have their boxes built in the same factory.

dfarr67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, now I know where the goofy-looking aftermarket boxes from Borgeson and others cribbed their design from.

Who knows? Maybe the Delphi, Borgeson, and the third vendor who's name I forget, all have their boxes built in the same factory.
Lares?
Myself- I prefer oem, for better or worse it's my benchmark.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The PSC Big Bore

dfarr67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The PSC Big Bore
Was't that originally a Dodge application. What I have now I saw on 2500's. I know I could have looked closer at the 2500 maybe 3500 as well.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was't that originally a Dodge application. What I have now I saw on 2500's. I know I could have looked closer at the 2500 maybe 3500 as well.
Not sure, it was mentioned in a recent thread and I thought it was the 3rd one Schurkey was referring to.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
processed-3a70864e-cee2-4427-9313-21cd60def794-jpeg.385401

definitely a different steering gear than mine (yours on the right, mine is the left 2)
This is what my stock 2005 gmt800 2500hd steering box looks like
I have 4wd if that mattered. I also have hydroboost(the same setup as you do probably as far as unit/master go, maybe different bias for a suburban rear brakes?)

interesting youre keeping a rag joint in your shaft

Im also gonna be that girl who points our your using EFI hose for oil vapor. Thats 30r9. You need a 30r7 hose, which is for emissions/pcv. its stronger wall, because its intended to be under vacuum, and it can handles vapors etc. Its meant for that, id get some when you get to a store next.
Also I need to ask, whats the Ford Fender relay (not a solenoid) doing by your firewall? is it being used to do a 2nd battery, actuate a starter, is it a continous duty kind for something like a winch?

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it appears the difference in gears is you have a delphi 670 gear, and the one in mine is a delphi 680 (or im reversed, but based on the donor year of yours my original statement should be right)

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope, I appeared to be wrong. a check of the part number 88965542 for a 680 brings up pictures that look like yours. So your steering gear wasnt even the original in the truck its out of. its more like a gmt900 gear (late gmt800 still)