Reman Steering Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both seem like great options but wayyy out of my price range.

Redhead seems to have mixed feelings this day, and is bluetop out of business?

Honestly on rock auto a brand new Lares box is looking the most tempting to me.

$344 no core because it’s new not reman.
I bought my Redhead for $356 plus $48 shipping from Redhead ($404 total).

It's the 2864L-LM-3T (for a K2500 3/4 ton).

It's still brand new. I just decided to use all Borgeson components after I had purchased the Redhead in the beginning of my build. Which is actually better — no idea.

If you are interested, I can sell you my new Redhead for $325 shipped. Otherwise, it's just going to sit on my garage shelf as a spare.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/xxxparagonxxx’s-1999-chevrolet-k2500-crew-cab.56388/#post-1221172

You must be registered for see images attach

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my Redhead for $356 plus $48 shipping from Redhead ($404 total).

It's the 2864L-LM-3T (for a K2500 3/4 ton).

It's still brand new. I just decided to use all Borgeson components after I had purchased the Redhead in the beginning of my build. Which is actually better — no idea.

If you are interested, I can sell you my new Redhead for $325 shipped. Otherwise, it's just going to sit on my garage shelf as a spare.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/xxxparagonxxx’s-1999-chevrolet-k2500-crew-cab.56388/#post-1221172

You must be registered for see images attach
Unfortunately that’s a different part number than a box for a 94 k1500. Is that an EVO box?

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Provide your budget and you will likely get the information you’re looking for. Unfortunately, most that are on the low end (cost) are not reliable. Similar to what you have already experienced. With a low budget your best bet is the yard. You should keep in mind that replacing soft parts is a must to avoid leaks and obtain accurate torque. Read, read, and read the procedure in the manual. Practice on your bad unit and experiment with setting torque. Remember this phrase “over center”. It’s very important.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Provide your budget and you will likely get the information you’re looking for. Unfortunately, most that are on the low end (cost) are not reliable. Similar to what you have already experienced. With a low budget your best bet is the yard. You should keep in mind that replacing soft parts is a must to avoid leaks and obtain accurate torque. Read, read, and read the procedure in the manual. Practice on your bad unit and experiment with setting torque. Remember this phrase “over center”. It’s very important.
My budget is around $400-450ish.

I’d definitely go with a junkyard one, but everyone I’ve wiggled the steering wheel on has a good amount of play on it.

I was totally ready to do the preload adjustments on the used one I picked up the other day from marketplace, but the input shaft adjusting locknut was totally seized. And when I finally got that off the adjustment itself was completely stuck and I couldn’t get it to budge.

Reading online, people definitely seem to have had good luck with Lares. It’s a brand new box, so you know it’s not a crappy rebuild and they DO have a lifetime warranty in case it’s bad for some reason.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a thread recently where someone put a Lares in, it failed, he got a replacement and that was junk too. :shrug:

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember reading a thread recently where someone put a Lares in, it failed, he got a replacement and that was junk too. :shrug:
Well that’s not good lol,

Have you heard anything about Edelmann?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The edelmann is tempting. They’re a very well known company that’s made PS hoses and stuff for a while. Seems like they more recently started making steering boxes.