Borgeson Steering Box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today Turn One told me the Borgeson box case is made in China.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it’s no rack and pinion
Rack and Pinion is not inherently "better" than the traditional recirculating-ball/parallelogram linkage. It is cheaper and more compact since there's no Pitman arm, idler arm, or center link; potentially lighter since the housing is almost always aluminum instead of cast iron of typical recirculating-ball steering gears.

There are more joints in the parallelogram linkage, each one a wear-point. That's a genuine downside.

The real problem with recirculating-ball steering gears is the same problem seen in the entire front suspension/steering design: In almost every application, it's been "optimized" by GM/Ford/Chrysler/AMC to provide isolation and fingertip-steering to satisfy non-enthusiasts and keep boneheads out of trouble, not sportscar-response that would make the vehicle more fun to drive.

I called them and they said ‘ just loosen the jamb nut and clockwise the bolt 1/4” turn at a time . I did this and literally only got one 1/4” turn before solid resistance on the flat head. As if that’s as far as the adjuster would go on this new box. I Locked the jamb and still 1-1.5” of steering slop at the wheel and intermediate shaft
So...again...EVERYBODY turns the second of two adjustments, and can't be bothered to check the first adjustment.

Yes, that's what they told you to do. Clearly, with just a quarter-turn from solid, it was not that far out of adjustment to begin with...

which visually ends up being down at the boxes output shaft that shaft turns 1/2” -1” left and right before the center link or wheels even turn .
So the actual problem is in the steering linkage, it wasn't the steering box at all.

If the steering box output shaft can move an inch before the wheels turn, you've got slop in the linkage. From the description, it sounds like the Pitman arm splines or joint is wiped-out or loose in the center link.

But I'd re-check EVERY joint on the steering linkage including both parts of the idler arm.

For 500$$ these should have zero lash at the wheel . I have new solid U-joint shafts ttx tire rods ball joints pitman /idler everything is new prior to the box I made sure of that .
You say that the steering box output shaft is turning, but the center link doesn't move. The Pitman arm is suspect. Worn splines, loose joint...something is wrong between the output shaft and the center link, and that's the Pitman arm.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was informed today the Borgeson is manufactured in China. Another one bites the Dust! :Rock on:
Wait huh? So it’s Chinese fuc**ry .. garbage made. Who was this information through. So what is the solution send it back buy a Oreillys reman

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait huh? So it’s Chinese fuc**ry .. garbage made. Who was this information through. So what is the solution send it back buy a Oreillys reman
My current thought is:
1. Make adjustments per Service Manual.
If that doesn’t work:
Send original out for rebuild to people who know WTF they are doing for a rebuild.
Or: