Reman Steering Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just another update here. Been a while lol that’s because I ended up redoing the entire front end again.

New ball joints, tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, and front hub bearings. Used Dorman Premium RD. Yeah yeah you guys will dump on me for that, but to be honest I’m extremely impressed by them so far. They are THICK and seem rugged. The boots are also super durable and have relief holes in case you are dumb and overfill them like me!

But that’s where the bad part comes in,
I had to figure out something for a steering box. So I decided to give a rockauto reman a try by VisionOE.

Took it out of the box and IMMEDIATELY noticed, it’s literally the same reman as the NAPA one I had before. Same color paint and markings that the NAPA one had. NAPA must be using VisionOE as a “rebuilder”.

And sure enough, it’s a piece of junk. Thing binds up when I’m at idle standing still trying to turn the wheels, it also doesn’t return to center. And worst of all, it has slop just like the rest of the steering boxes I’ve put in this damn thing.

Seems like the only option now is an expensive premium rebuild. Whether I try redhead(even with their apparent loss of quality) or a bluetop or something.

Here’s a video showcasing this absolute gem of a new reman steering box(sarcasm):

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That about concludes this posting, everything is great but the steering box. Shaking my head…. Lol.
@fancyTBI just had one rebuilt by Turn One and so far has been happy with it. Yup $400.00 plus, but how much was the Vision and how many times have you installed and removed one now?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@fancyTBI just had one rebuilt by Turn One and so far has been happy with it. Yup $400.00 plus, but how much was the Vision and how many times have you installed and removed one now?
Isn’t the $400 only for replacing seals and cleaning it up? I’ve heard they change a crazy amount for actual rebuilds, definitely can’t afford that.

And the Vision costed $130 plus a core charge, and I have removed and put in different gear boxes around 5 times now… lol.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn’t the $400 only for replacing seals and cleaning it up? I’ve heard they change a crazy amount for actual rebuilds, definitely can’t afford that.

And the Vision costed $130 plus a core charge, and I have removed and put in different gear boxes around 5 times now… lol.
It’s $400 PLUS any part that has excessive wear. IDK, doing something 5x and ending up with same results, where’s the upside of that?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s $400 PLUS any part that has excessive wear. IDK, doing something 5x and ending up with same results, where’s the upside of that?
You think they’d open up the “reman” box I got on rockauto? Does seem tempting.

Have you personally used these Turn One guys before? Just want to make sure I’d be getting a quality rebuild from them.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Have you personally used these Turn One guys before? Just want to make sure I’d be getting a quality rebuild from them.
And it’s not fun at all. Makes me want to sell this truck lol.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IDK about that.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just put 300 miles on the box today. It is a good rebuild.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to give a rockauto reman a try by VisionOE.

Took it out of the box and IMMEDIATELY noticed, it’s literally the same reman as the NAPA one I had before. Same color paint and markings that the NAPA one had. NAPA must be using VisionOE as a “rebuilder”.
More like NAPA and VisionOE (and CarQuest, and O'Reillys, and Autozone, and everyone else) are getting their rebuilt boxes from Cardone.

Given a choice, I'll take a "good used" OEM box from the Treasure Yard. Downside is that I'm stuck with OEM torsion bars and OEM gear ratio, when I might prefer stiffer and faster.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited: