Free to me GMC 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Swapped O2 sensors to see if the code pops back up, the original sensor looks to be OEM so it’s old as dirt. Code hasn’t popped back up yet maybe cats are fine.

Drained rear diff oil and whoa it’s not looking great. Lots of fine particles on drain plug and oil looked like unicorns blood. Definitely the worst gets oil ive seen as far as break in goes. The pinion also seems to have a lot of backlash but that’s just me using my hand. The gears look great and the locker works great so I clean it up and put it back together. I texted pics and a video to my axle guy and he said it looks kinda excessive however, it was used gears and I did do some burnouts so it might just be gear wear. He thinks the sparkle looks more like gear material than bearing and I do kinda agree.

I slapped fresh oil in and I’m gonna recheck in 500 miles, then put 75-140 in it and see how it sounds. If it’s worse then he will warranty the work and even buy gears if necessary. Which is kinda too much I wouldn’t let him buy parts since it was used stuff to start with. This axle had been pulled from a wrecked H2 hummer so who knows if it had a problem to start with.

Either way, it’s button up and I’ll keep on riding!

Attachments

• IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1462.jpeg
    IMG_1462.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 6

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if that is the eaton govlock g80 do NOT use a oil with friction modifiers in it read post #2 it is for all g80 rears https://www.gmt400.com/threads/differential-fluid-for-14-bolt-10-5-gear-with-g80-eaton-locker.27972/

Nope it’s a used Eaton E locker, and used gears. Does it need friction modifier? Prob not, but it shouldn’t hurt anything and the 75-90 valvoline in those bags was on sale so that’s what it got.

Next fill will be 75-140 Lucas as requested by axle guy

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well good news is the noise I’m hearing seems to be quieter. Not sure if I’ve damaged my hearing that much recently or maybe it was not the rear end at all and something different that worked itself out.

I have the Walbro fuel pump and spectra pickup tube that was suggested in route now so I think I’ll start on that this weekend. Also need to pull the gear selector handle out and clean up the threads for the set screw and maybe get a new set screw or handle. It felt like it was cross threading when I initially tightened it and it never got all the wobble out. Pulled it last night and confirmed the threads are kinda jacked.

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve heard that too, not a big G80 fan, not sure anybody really is once they used a good locker or posi.
they have their problems but the ones that are in the 9.5 14 bolt 10.5 14 bolt and the aam 11.5 are beter then the ones that end up in S-10s 10 bolts and 12 bolts they all can sill bow up but some more then others

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they have their problems but the ones that are in the 9.5 14 bolt 10.5 14 bolt and the aam 11.5 are beter then the ones that end up in S-10s 10 bolts and 12 bolts they all can sill bow up but some more then others
I think they work a lot better in an auto than a manual too. The g80 in my 5speed Tahoe with the 9.5” just sucks. It does very strange things like unlocking under power and I didn’t think would ever be a g80 issue

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 96 obd2 will show me trans temp if I hook up some sort of scan gauge or ultra gauge device? I think I have an ultra gauge laying around somewhere and I’d love to know trans temp.