My 1989 K1500 "Beebsy"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n2xlr8n

Reaction score
This was a rescued barn truck, spent most of it's life pulling a small fishing boat about a mile to the docks. When the 4L60 gave up the ghost, it was parked. I figured it would rot away, so I asked my neighbor if he'd sell it.

The work begins (I had just finished a 8 year project, including many failures and challenges, turning my Grandfather's 1990 Ranger into a LS turbo, e85 drinking, 5.50 eight mile street terror...just to screw with the Gen Z / Millenial crowd. I'm old, lol..but I digress).

I had my buddy build the 4L60, and used it primarily for chores. It never left the driveway without my retired US DOD GSD, Beebsy. One day during the drive home, it developed an immediate leak at the heater hose fitting on the pass side of the int manifold. I had my wife pick up Beebs, and determined the hose fitting had sheared off flush- no fixing that on the road.

So...being a hotrodder at heart, I figured well, if I'm pulling the intake manifold, I'm converting it to HR camshaft, Edelbrock Performer RPM, Holley, HEI, headers and a good set of aftermarket Vortec heads (Vortec FP, as well). Nothing too sporty, but probably another 60-80 usable hp.

That's underway at the moment, as well as clear-coating over the patina. I love a nice paint job, but I don't love the work that goes into it, and I have a pretty demanding job as it is, so..clear over patina.

I recently sourced a set of the N67 (my neighbor said he sold them) wheels and beauty rings- I had to find a set of the OEM 4x4 center caps. The Toyo tires (235/85/16 Open Country A/T III) were chosen for reliability; the size was chosen for cost and I like a narrower tire for the paths I travel off-road.

If all goes well, it should be clear coated and running in a couple weeks. Until then, here's a really crappy picture for reference of how it was when I first bought it. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

n2xlr8n

Reaction score
Thanks, folks. I appreciate it.

Hopefully when I'm done, it certainly won't be a beauty queen, but it will be a good solid truck- exactly what I'm after. I may decide to build a spare 388 over the winter, just in case this 195k mile engine doesn't like making decent power without groaning.

The wheels with 235/85/16 Toyos (it's a 3.42 gear, so >4.11s may be in my future- I've heard setting up the front diff is not fun, and all I've done are Ford 9, 8.8 and 14 bolts):
You must be registered for see images attach