5.7l vortec oil cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phantom 309

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And if its deleted its the same deal, might take a few more seconds or minutes to warm up in cold winter mornings, not that big a deal for me
well its interesting to read your posts,. there is a lot of experience on this forum,..and you have been given some great advice,. In cold weather the "oil cooler" in the radiator is keeping the oil at an optimum temp,.
A remote oil cooler hung out in the breeeze can have a detrimental effect by cooling the oil too much,. and it not impossible to split an aluminum finned cooler by pushing thick oil through it,. But you do what you want because you are gonna any way,. all the best to you.

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well its interesting to read your posts,. there is a lot of experience on this forum,..and you have been given some great advice,. In cold weather the "oil cooler" in the radiator is keeping the oil at an optimum temp,.
A remote oil cooler hung out in the breeeze can have a detrimental effect by cooling the oil too much,. and it not impossible to split an aluminum finned cooler by pushing thick oil through it,. But you do what you want because you are gonna any way,. all the best to you.
Lots of great info given which is much apprecaited, im trying to figure out the best route to go with this since im doing a bunch of custom stuff to this truck.im no emgineer or master mechanic so excuse the stupidity at times, appreciate everyone for the help

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coolant heats faster than oil. The radiator-mounted oil "cooler" is a heat exchanger that works both directions, stabilizing the oil temp to the middle-range where the oil works best.

Bypassing the radiator-mounted "cooler" is not the best idea, especially since it seems you already own it.
I understand, and Yea i do have the radiator, was just gonna plug the ports and run the lines to an aux cooler but ig that could risk damaging the aux cooler when the oil is cold and thicker

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The laws of Physics being carved in stone, prove that a heat exchanger that requires forced air cooling is not near efficient as liquid submerged heat exchanger.
In the filter adapter with cooler fittings. And the cooler is in use not capped off. There are two pressure relief bypass valves. One for a plugged filter. Another bypass valve if the cooler somehow became plugged.
Some of the big block / diesel trucks have the external finned oil cooler mounted in front.
You must be registered for see images attach

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your free to do whatever you want to your truck. You assume you know better than GM engine engineers. But your whining about parts is a given reality for solid reasons. GM sells cars, parts are a sideline. The law requires they support a given model for seven that's 7 years , not twenty plus as in our 400 truck platform.
The sealing washers , poor man's version of a machined O ring seal. Is commonly known as a " Stat-O-seal ". Used in Aviation forever. Parker Hannifin biggest producer. Is used in many other products. There's two on your AC compressor. If you can't find them you haven't looked very hard.
You want an improvement idea? Ditch the QD's on the filter adapter. Install 1/4 pipe male to -8 37°male. Cut off the the two bump tube ends. Install -8 sleeves and B nuts , flare the two ends for 37°. Make sure the forward clamp holds the lines secure. End of adapter leaks. Use the correct size O ring on the radiator side, don't make it gorilla tight. If you loosen it all , install new O ring , prevents leaks.
Try avoid making blanket statements.
You don't like the oil design, no problem . I made a huge improvement for 15$ in hardware and 30 minutes of time.
On going preventative maintenance is part of keeping vehicles well beyond their intended service life.
This search for the washers the time it took to press enter.
You must be registered for see images attach
Which size stat-o-seal do i need, i measured the holes on the cooler housing and they are 7mm. Searching online but they dont go off of millimeters

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not the holes, it's the diameter of the bolt shaft. So would that be 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 ?
Are you really asking this ? Search for SAE size. All the information you could want is at your fingertips.
This is mechanic basic 101. If your really having problems get " Earls Plumbing handbook " AN, Brake lines, Seals, Orings, Flares, Pipe. All automotive , free download.

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not the holes, it's the diameter of the bolt shaft. So would that be 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 ?
Are you really asking this ? Search for SAE size. All the information you could want is at your fingertips.
This is mechanic basic 101. If your really having problems get " Earls Plumbing handbook " AN, Brake lines, Seals, Orings, Flares, Pipe. All automotive , free download.
suppose 1/4 or maybe 9/32