5.7l vortec oil cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are trying to do right now. You just mentioned welding a pipe thread in radiator , is for the oil cooler? If so that's easy to plumb together. Nobody makes a 20 x 1.5 bump tube to -8 AN , I've searched and called. There's no demand.
Are using the custom radiator with pipe bings, if so what size pipe?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also it's the apples and oranges law. Don't bother trying to force together fittings of different specifications. It'll start raining cats and dogs or cause the Apocalypse. Don't think you can fudge it either , when seal blows out , the fudge will be in ...you know right.
They may be both 18 threads per inch. But the peaks and valleys, thread engagement, not the same.

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also it's the apples and oranges law. Don't bother trying to force together fittings of different specifications. It'll start raining cats and dogs or cause the Apocalypse. Don't think you can fudge it either , when seal blows out , the fudge will be in ...you know right.
They may be both 18 threads per inch. But the peaks and valleys, thread engagement, not the same.
I understand. Yes this is for the oil cooler. I was hoping i could find the right fittings to just put in as i was able to for the transmission cooler side however the size needed for the engine oil cooler is apparantly non existant so i guess welding on the -8an is the only option.

Attachments

• IMG_20240812_190831_156.jpg
    IMG_20240812_190831_156.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 4

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your not the first to try to find the adapter, I have a list of 36 contacts , no luck. There is no demand. The trans lines are common and been in production forever.
As I asked what size is the pipe female? What did you decide for the engine filter cooler adapter?

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your not the first to try to find the adapter, I have a list of 36 contacts , no luck. There is no demand. The trans lines are common and been in production forever.
As I asked what size is the pipe female? What did you decide for the engine filter cooler adapter?
Which pipe female? For the cooler im just going to keep the stock setup and use AN fittings with braided line thats why in need this -8an for the radiator. The radiator thread is m20 1.5

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

did you see my final solution to this, I had engineered cooling products weld a NPT bung onto the new radiator i bought from them before they shipped it. not really a fix to the problem though
seems to be the only solution

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No demand is not true at all. GM used the same fittings for close to 30 years and the replacement oil cooler lines, especially the LS ones with the thermostat integrated into them are garbage. Actually GM still uses the same fitting on NEW vehicles in 2024.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm referring to the item we discussed before. The metric bump tube oil cooler fitting to male AN-8. The bump tube type fitting was used on AC systems by GM in the early Sixties. As I said there isn't a great enough demand for the cooler metric to AN -8 , or someone would make it and make money. Sell product = make profits.

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm referring to the item we discussed before. The metric bump tube oil cooler fitting to male AN-8. The bump tube type fitting was used on AC systems by GM in the early Sixties. As I said there isn't a great enough demand for the cooler metric to AN -8 , or someone would make it and make money. Sell product = make profits.
M20 1.5

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is enough demand. I have seen no less 100 forum thread starts looking for that fitting when I was searching for a work around. In every GM group from the GMT400s to the S10 to the Astro van guys. Even in one of my Van groups on FB a guy was looking for the correct fitting recently. If it existed it would sell and sell very well. Literally millions of GM vehicles used it. Problem is people like ICT Billet use the leverage for someone to buy an actual oil cooler kit.