99 454 7.4 Vortec (L29/Motorhome) Oil Cooler Lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looked them up on RockAuto just to get the Sunsong name spelled right. Maybe I need to grab a spare set for my van in the event they get discontinued in the future. I have never seen them that cheap for anything GM.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
They were not much cheaper on the vans either. The 3 transmission cooler lines when I 4L85E swapped mine were close to ~$200 and that was 10 years ago. That being said I have learned that Sunsong are the same lines you get buying AC Delco down to the name printed in them. In the case of the trucks/vans when you buy them you are literally getting same ones you would from GM at a much cheaper price.
Tell me about it. Found that out when buying brake hoses for the '06. "GM Genuine" .. Sunsong

Richard

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
… in the event you can't find those exact replacements, you might be able to get a local hose maker to re-use your end pieces and crimp them onto new hose.
^^^this

Around here (northern IL) many places claim to make / re-make hydraulic hoses. I swear some NAPA stores (not all) and maybe O’Reilly, etc. They might be worth a try, for a cost comparison to new.

The heavy farm / construction equipment dealers do, but might be more pricey (Deere, Case/IH, Caterpillar, Bobcat, etc).

Some of the independent repair shops (heavier equipment) do too.

It seems like a common service… maybe it’s because we’re in farm country, or maybe it’s ubiquitous and I’m simply naive.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are some pieces of commercial equipment that used a similar GM cooler line.
If I was you. And I would want a secure reliable setup, with a long service life. My choice would be finding a hose hydraulic shop. Not just napa or we do hoses auto store. A dedicated hose shop. We do " Aeroquip, Parker, Stratoflex, Gates, Eaton". They will have the better everyday quality to Space shuttle quality hose and fittings material. Sure you probably pay more. It's an investment the will pay back in longevity, and reliability. Unless the over the counter are much improved better material, there new but not better.
I'm not saying aftermarket are always bad, but when companies spec out materials there a fine line between using higher quality and staying competitive to not price your product out of the market.
If you decide to use a hose shop , remind them about keeping the tubing angle placement the same. Good luck.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the over the counter are much improved better material, there new but not better.
I'm not saying aftermarket are always bad, but when companies spec out materials there a fine line...
^^^ x2

The GM S10 series from 1994+ were notorious for leaks from the engine oil coolant lines (from the adapter at the filter up to the radiator).

I had three (3) 1995 S10s for a number years, all with oil coolers. I used Dorman replacement lines and they were good for a few years, then they would leak. The only good thing about Dorman is they had a lifetime warranty so I could swap old for new at the parts counter.

At the time I didn't consider simply taking the old lines to a shop to have them repaired (the leak was always at the hose-to-hardline connection); I figured the replacements would last (silly me). Thereafter, the warranty kept me going back.

Last edited:

QuickTrip5999

Reaction score
Don't scrimp ! After 126,000 miles the crimped end blew off one of my oil cooler lines, 70 MPH, 200 miles from home. Luckily, I saw the cloud of smoke & shut it off, coasted to a stop, saved it before it went dry. Expensive tow !