5.7l vortec oil cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your free to do whatever you want to your truck. You assume you know better than GM engine engineers. But your whining about parts is a given reality for solid reasons. GM sells cars, parts are a sideline. The law requires they support a given model for seven that's 7 years , not twenty plus as in our 400 truck platform.
The sealing washers , poor man's version of a machined O ring seal. Is commonly known as a " Stat-O-seal ". Used in Aviation forever. Parker Hannifin biggest producer. Is used in many other products. There's two on your AC compressor. If you can't find them you haven't looked very hard.
You want an improvement idea? Ditch the QD's on the filter adapter. Install 1/4 pipe male to -8 37°male. Cut off the the two bump tube ends. Install -8 sleeves and B nuts , flare the two ends for 37°. Make sure the forward clamp holds the lines secure. End of adapter leaks. Use the correct size O ring on the radiator side, don't make it gorilla tight. If you loosen it all , install new O ring , prevents leaks.
Try avoid making blanket statements.
You don't like the oil design, no problem . I made a huge improvement for 15$ in hardware and 30 minutes of time.
On going preventative maintenance is part of keeping vehicles well beyond their intended service life.
This search for the washers the time it took to press enter.
You must be registered for see images attach

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your free to do whatever you want to your truck. You assume you know better than GM engine engineers. But your whining about parts is a given reality for solid reasons. GM sells cars, parts are a sideline. The law requires they support a given model for seven that's 7 years , not twenty plus as in our 400 truck platform.
The sealing washers , poor man's version of a machined O ring seal. Is commonly known as a " Stat-O-seal ". Used in Aviation forever. Parker Hannifin biggest producer. Is used in many other products. There's two on your AC compressor. If you can't find them you haven't looked very hard.
You want an improvement idea? Ditch the QD's on the filter adapter. Install 1/4 pipe male to -8 37°male. Cut off the the two bump tube ends. Install -8 sleeves and B nuts , flare the two ends for 37°. Make sure the forward clamp holds the lines secure. End of adapter leaks. Use the correct size O ring on the radiator side, don't make it gorilla tight. If you loosen it all , install new O ring , prevents leaks.
You don't like the oil design, no problem . I made a huge improvement for 15$ in hardware and 30 minutes of time.
On going preventative maintenance is part of keeping vehicles well beyond their intended service life.
Never mentioned gm engineers in a bad light not here to bad mouth anyone just went to dealer they said its disconintued. Tried ebay, amazon etc coulndt find based of gm part number. never heard of stat-o-seal unfortunatley so never searched that. Ive switched almost all the lines on the truck to 6 an braided lines, last thing left is the oil cooler,which i dont want to remove, its not that im just trying to repair a leak. its a custom build hot rod so alot of things have been changed and upgraded, it will be pushing more power than a stock 5.7

Last edited:

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the info

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OEM system isnt perfect
Lines and fittings always leak? quality lines and proper installation tend to solve your issue there.

The crimp barrels on the lines tend to leak, those can be replaced by using oetiker clamps on the hose passed the ferrule in the metal hard line. if it leaks you have a bad hose section which is replaceable by bulk section cut right. then The housing crush washers which have a grommet , i know what you speak of., Ive seen someone find the number. So skill issue. i think they had a roadmaster so im sure the tbi in the roadmaster didnt have a different cooler, but i could be wrong.

You could, if you wanted OEM But not this year OEM, use the pre Gmt400 oil cooler sandwich adapter which fits above the filter and just plumbs out 2 lines. It would be better than THAT.
But as stated when you can have oil temp at the right place its going to be better for everyone.

Vote 0/10 skill issue, lacks effort
Thing is im going for 6an braided on almost all the lines in the truck

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also im a little giddy because this means i have an SBC cooler like this one because my vortec has KC4

Reusing the spring clips is expressly forbidden by gm as they are not designed to be reused, so you could be leaking there. There should be retains that keep the clips from spreading when installed that are plastic. This is just a quick search. i did it in like 3 minutes. the grommet/seals arent shown but im sure you could find them if you try
I can find all of that but im not going for oem, im going for braided lines and an fittings with an external cooler, its not a regular family suburban, lol, this is hot rod suburban

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also im a little giddy because this means i have an SBC cooler like this one because my vortec has KC4

Reusing the spring clips is expressly forbidden by gm as they are not designed to be reused, so you could be leaking there. There should be retains that keep the clips from spreading when installed that are plastic. This is just a quick search. i did it in like 3 minutes. the grommet/seals arent shown but im sure you could find them if you try
Thanks for the info

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think im just gonna scrap the adapter that came with the kit, reinstall the factory cooler housing (with the 6an as shown in pics) and instead of running the lines to from the cooler housing to the engine coolant radiator, run them from the housing directly to the external cooling rad and block off the ports on the main engine coolant radiator. that should work in the same way