Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do your own rebuilds then you get to see if it is rebuildable, you can put quality parts in it and if it doesn't work you got no one to blame. These things are not some kind of magical device, just basic mechanical and hydraulic components. If it is the first time you've ever been in one go to the salvage yard and find a core that doesn't look like it's been pouring fluid out. If you fail with the rebuild turn it in as a core for a rebuilt or use it for a door stop.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do your own rebuilds then you get to see if it is rebuildable, you can put quality parts in it and if it doesn't work you got no one to blame. These things are not some kind of magical device, just basic mechanical and hydraulic components. If it is the first time you've ever been in one go to the salvage yard and find a core that doesn't look like it's been pouring fluid out. If you fail with the rebuild turn it in as a core for a rebuilt or use it for a door stop.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These things are not some kind of magical device
The cost of some of the parts would make you wonder. I don't see how it's possible to make any money as a business rebuilding these unless they have a line on cheaper parts...maybe just the input shaft is costly..

Last edited:

Pollo Dustino

Reaction score
I emailed Jeff back with what my results were and asked him again what the slop spec was, here is his response:

The box has allowed lash of 2.8 degrees at the input shaft which would equate to around ¾”-1” at the rim of a 15” steering wheel.

My box has a lot more than that. I'll try adjusting again, but the fact that I have to do it on a brand new unit is infuriating.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I emailed Jeff back with what my results were and asked him again what the slop spec was, here is his response:

My box has a lot more than that. I'll try adjusting again, but the fact that I have to do it on a brand new unit is infuriating.
My 2 cents…don’t bother adjusting, tell them you did and go for a refund.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They're just copping out because they cannot make a quality product. My all original steering in my 92 has less slop than that, on a factory box and rag joint.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlock the steering wheel and grab the steering shaft and rotate it while watching for the input shaft to move in and out of the box. If the worm adjustment is loose adjusting the sector will do you no good. It requires a big socket and a pin spanner to adjust the worm.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score

If you paid good money for a rebuilt box and they tell you to do what should have done before shipping it, the best course of action is to ship it back and tell them they can finish the job that should have been done before it was sold.