Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pollo Dustino

Reaction score
I had an old coworker at my old shop install a brand new Borgeson quick ratio box on my 1998 GMC K2500 Suburban and it had almost 2" of play in it. I measured it with a protractor set on the back of the steering wheel and it measured 15 degrees of rotation between hitting the engagement points. All the steering components are new except the center link, and I have the Cunningham Machine steering shafts installed as well.

The whole point of buying a $500 steering box was to eliminate the slop. I'm not faulting the mechanic since I provided the parts to him, but this is unacceptable considering so many people here and on Summit are saying they have no play at all. To me 15 degrees is dangerous, and is almost the same as my old factory steering box. I was holding the wheel so far to the left on the drive home it felt like nothing had been changed at all.

I contacted Borgeson and Jeff emailed me back instructing me to adjust the top screw 1/8-1/4 turn. I turned that sucker almost 3/4 and there's still slop in it. I made a video that I've linked below.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The steering still returns to center while driving, but there's enough play that I still have to overcorrect while driving on the highway. When it engages the steering feels good, the quicker ratio makes the truck respond like a modern vehicle. Should I adjust the screw some more, or do I just have a bum unit? I'm not expecting sports car response, but I do expect something that doesn't feel like I'm trying to guide a sail boat. I was hoping for steering feel like my 2005 Dodge Dakota or similar.

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine wasn't that bad when I got it. Now, 3 years later, it looks similar to yours....
I've always wondered if there are accumulative bits of play that can be introduced from the box to the steering wheel somewhere along the line and makes it even more exaggerated..

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@fancyTBI had a similar issue with a Borgeson box recently. Triggered lots of discussion and research in his build thread, and the general consensus seems to be that the Borgeson boxes are over-priced and improperly spec'd for certain applications. They're also made in China, and their customer service/warranty seems to be a joke. Discussion starts around page 142 in this thread IIRC...

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/3-4-ton-of-fun-‘95-sierra.58446/page-142

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your play mimics what two of my boxes had. All new steering component on my C2500 as well.

They told me to adjust, I did, still the same. Sent it back, received a new unit. Installed it and it was the same. Input shaft play causing me to over correct my turns.

Jeff is the person I have been dealing with as well. I sent videos and they didn’t watch them and they didn’t seem to care.

Finally they told me that:
1) their boxes are 70mm bore usually associated with 1500s and light-duty 2500s. 8 luggers had 80mm bore boxes (our own @Caman96 found this information so give him credit, later corroborated by Turn One…)
2) When asked about the 8 luggers they said “if the front axle weight is less than 4400lbs it should be fine.” Well guess what, mine is under that and still had all that play.
3) they said they’d warranty it a third time or give me credit
4) Summit is accepting it for a full refund, I purchased it on 12/31/23. A fun New Years.

You’re right - when they work it feels great. That quick ratio is a noticeable improvement but it is ruined by how loose it is.

While going through the rounds with Borgeson I had Turn One rebuild my stock steering box and PS pump. Way better than Borgeson. Turn One was a great experience. I spoke on the phone with a tech for an hour discussing my options, wants, technical specs, etc. When I called Borgeson they couldn’t get me off the phone quick enough.

If you can return it, do it. Rebuild your stocker. If you really want a quick ratio, find a box from a 454SS truck and have Turn One rebuild it. They can’t make your stock box into a Q/R.

Pollo Dustino

Reaction score
Well all these replies kind of clinch the deal, then. I just got back from the movies and driving the thing at night on curves felt like I was cheating the devil. I'll be yanking this thing out after my camping trip next week. I think I'm still within the Summit return window, and if not I'll be filing a chargeback with my credit card company. I have an eight-lug K2500, so the 8600 LB GVWR Suburban. When I asked for a degree specification on the first help request Jeff ignored me, which implies they don't want to let that information out. I wonder if a lawsuit would bring that out in discovery.

Really sucks because I read good things about the Borgeson here, but they must have been old posts. Also saw good reviews on other sites and on Summit's product page.