Is my alternator going out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I noticed today that my truck is making 2 new sounds:

1. Faint whining noise that I can only notice from inside the cab, seems like it’s coming from the radio area or transmission hump area. It gets higher pitched as RPM increases which immediately tells me it’s engine related. I also only notice this sound when I have radio on but volume turned all the way down. I turned the radio off and it went away, which leads me to believe that the noise is radio static caused by a worn alternator.

2. Faint rattling sound which I can only notice when revving by hand from the engine bay. Most noticeable when “deccelerating”

It is seeming to me like an alternator, but I’d like to hear some feedback. Thanks! Also it is a 96 5.7

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check the charging system and post the output at idle with everything turned off and when things like blower motor and wipers and lights are on, under a load.

Post a video of the sound.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connect voltmeter to alternator output terminal, and ground.

What is the DC voltage with the engine off?
What is the DC voltage with the engine running at fast idle, high-beam headlights, wipers, and so forth turned on?
What is the AC voltage with the engine running at fast idle, high-beam headlights, wipers, and so forth turned on?

If you have a current probe satisfactory for 100+ amperes, clamp it around the alternator output wire. What does the alternator produce for amperage with the engine running at fast idle, high-beam lights, wipers (fast), radio, dome light, A/C, and any other accessory you can think of, turned on?

You could remove the alternator and have it tested for free, off-the-car at most parts stores. Problem is, off-the-car testing is not a wholly-reliable method.

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
well this is just strange was just talking with a friend about alternators and he told me some thing that I had never heard of and have no idea if it is true or not any one ever hear that a screwdriver will stick to a good alternator and not stick to a bad I told him that it sounded like hog wash to me but shore enough tryed it with one that tested bad and it did not stick and it did stick to one that tested good at a parts store

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shavond055