Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pollo Dustino

Reaction score
I had an old coworker at my old shop install a brand new Borgeson quick ratio box on my 1998 GMC K2500 Suburban and it had almost 2" of play in it. I measured it with a protractor set on the back of the steering wheel and it measured 15 degrees of rotation between hitting the engagement points. All the steering components are new except the center link, and I have the Cunningham Machine steering shafts installed as well.

The whole point of buying a $500 steering box was to eliminate the slop. I'm not faulting the mechanic since I provided the parts to him, but this is unacceptable considering so many people here and on Summit are saying they have no play at all. To me 15 degrees is dangerous, and is almost the same as my old factory steering box. I was holding the wheel so far to the left on the drive home it felt like nothing had been changed at all.

I contacted Borgeson and Jeff emailed me back instructing me to adjust the top screw 1/8-1/4 turn. I turned that sucker almost 3/4 and there's still slop in it. I made a video that I've linked below.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The steering still returns to center while driving, but there's enough play that I still have to overcorrect while driving on the highway. When it engages the steering feels good, the quicker ratio makes the truck respond like a modern vehicle. Should I adjust the screw some more, or do I just have a bum unit? I'm not expecting sports car response, but I do expect something that doesn't feel like I'm trying to guide a sail boat. I was hoping for steering feel like my 2005 Dodge Dakota or similar.

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine wasn't that bad when I got it. Now, 3 years later, it looks similar to yours....
I've always wondered if there are accumulative bits of play that can be introduced from the box to the steering wheel somewhere along the line and makes it even more exaggerated..