Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Competent finish folks do a nice job. That power trowel is the bomb in a good finishers hands. Wait a month, wash it with muriatic acid and paint it with epoxy. You'll have years of service out of the paint. I'm a huge fan of the stuff. Every floor in Philip Moris's factory in Richmond has the stuff. Well mostly anyhow. But realistically that can happen just as well in the spring after everything is built.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you!!

You’re right - it is a bit surreal. It’s something that I didn’t think I’d get the opportunity to do. I’m glad to have taken so many photos and videos. Going through them will take some time, though.

Even though I helped with a smaller concrete project or two as a youth, I don’t recall seeing as many steps in the process as I am at the moment. It appears to me that they’re doing a decent job.

You must be registered for see images attach

The powered trowel is something to see. Don’t think they had those where I worked.
I'm gone for a week and you already have your slab! Belated Congratulations! Looks great.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After a 10 hour day, the slab is done.

Once the building is up, in about a month, Steven will make aprons (ramps) for the doors.

We haven’t yet decided whether to do one apron across the width of the building, or break it up into three separate aprons, one for each door. Either way, on the side wall he’ll add a 3 x 3 pad for the man door and an apron for the 6’ mower roll up door.

It’s been a long day, and I’m beat, even though I didn’t do much except to watch the process unfold. It was really interesting; I had no idea it would be this involved.

Tomorrow or the next day I’ll see about posting some more pics and maybe a video or two.

Progress!
It's been since Monday, any cracks in the slab? How's it looking? Don't tell me you haven't checked in on it every single day and just stood there and admired it! - lol

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been since Monday, any cracks in the slab? How's it looking? Don't tell me you haven't checked in on it every single day and just stood there and admired it! - lol
No cracks thus far. He put in relief cuts every 10’.

The only place I‘m concerned about cracking is where the two post lift 4’ x 4’ pads are. I’ve read elsewhere that not having the pour uniform in depth can lead to cracking, which would be a bummer. Time will tell.

And you’re right - I do check it every day, sometimes several times, because I still have a hard time believing that it’s actually here!

Yesterday my GF pointed out that the garage will block the best view from the house of the sunset across the pasture. She is correct.

Of course it will create an entirely new and awesome view of a garage! So there’s that.

Not sure she was convinced.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that I probably need to start the garage door order process, through Amelia Overhead Door. Not sure of their lead time, so I’ll give them a call today.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday we found a rough spot that I’m not sure what to do about. It’s about a foot across. I’ll ask the contractor if he can patch it. If not, maybe he can grind it smooth, leaving a small birdbath.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday we found a rough spot that I’m not sure what to do about. It’s about a foot across. I’ll ask the contractor if he can patch it. If not, maybe he can grind it smooth, leaving a small birdbath.

That’s really weird. Almost like a low spot. Are those little hairs stuck in?