Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a bad idea.

It’s possible that I may have been overthinking this…
That happens lol

A 2’ apron across the front and gravel to grade would work good. Leaving just dirt will turn to mud and you’ll end up with divots from the tires. (This is how my dads garage is. I don’t know why he won’t put the gravel in :shrug:)

A 20’ slab out front would be nice though, especially since it isn’t my money :anitoof:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think even just another 2’ of gravel in front of the apron would be a significant improvement to the transition in helping prevent the divots.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
My 0.02, I'd go with an apron out far enough to get your longest vehicle fully on to it and have room to roll a jack or tool cart around it.

Bonus points if you make one bay's apron long enough to drop the camper fully on the slab without blocking any more than the one door.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 0.02, I'd go with an apron out far enough to get your longest vehicle fully on to it and have room to roll a jack or tool cart around it.

Bonus points if you make one bay's apron long enough to drop the camper fully on the slab without blocking any more than the one door.
At 19’ or so the Subdivision is my longest vehicle. And the camper is 27’ with the tongue. That is a bunch of concrete!

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
At 19’ or so the Subdivision is my longest vehicle. And the camper is 27’ with the tongue. That is a bunch of concrete!
I'd go a minimum of 10-12' out. Plenty of buffer for dragging mud in and enough to get an axle of the suburban on it if the bays are occupied and you need to pull a wheel. Alternatively you could drop the camper long ways across if you had the need, but would block several bays.

My preference (with $ not being a consideration) would be my first opinion on it.

Trio

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go a minimum of 10-12' out. Plenty of buffer for dragging mud in and enough to get an axle of the suburban on it if the bays are occupied and you need to pull a wheel. Alternatively you could drop the camper long ways across if you had the need, but would block several bays.

My preference (with $ not being a consideration) would be my first opinion on it.

I always do 30' aprons - to the point about accommodating the longest vehicle completely on it, with a little room to spare. A lot cheaper to do when the concrete trucks are already delivering to the spot...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think even just another 2’ of gravel in front of the apron would be a significant improvement to the transition in helping prevent the divots.

Not just the divots, I'm thinking keeping the mess down to a dull roar. OP will you have gravel the whole way to the apron? I tell myself that's what I'll do but it's not time to open my wallet yet either.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What you suggest makes sense. I may be able to do one side to 10’, but probably not all the way across.

Pulling the camper onto the skirt would be really nice, but I’m not sure that there’s enough maneuvering room to make that happen, due to the proximity of a large oak tree, plus the septic field being nearby.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always do 30' aprons - to the point about accommodating the longest vehicle completely on it, with a little room to spare. A lot cheaper to do when the concrete trucks are already delivering to the spot...
A 30’ apron would be wonderful. However, there is not enough room to do that without covering some of the oak tree’s roots. The reality is that I can’t afford to have that much more concrete poured. It would cost thousands, and I’m already past what I planned to spend on this project.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not just the divots, I'm thinking keeping the mess down to a dull roar. OP will you have gravel the whole way to the apron? I tell myself that's what I'll do but it's not time to open my wallet yet either.
Yes, I plan to gravel the area in front of the concrete apron, as well as the driveway leading to it.