Time to put the old Rolair compressor out to pasture.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do your own hydrostatic testing. My small roll-around compressor is probably thirty years old, and I hydrostatic tested it a couple years ago. Then I marked the test date and pressure tested at on the side of the tank in sharpie. You need to inspect it every ten years; every five years if you're paranoid.

1) Take the tank off the compressor and remove all the fittings from the tank.
2) Install a pressure gauge in one of the ports. Plug every hole except the two end ports.
3) Stand it on end and strap it to a bench leg or build a fixture to hold it.
4) Put a 6" section of pipe in the bottom port, and install a grease zerk in the end.
5) Fill the tank completely full with water. Crank that plug into place. You should see a pressure rise on the gauge.
6) Take a grease gun and pump that zerk until the pressure reads 150% of the rated pressure. If you want to rate your tank at 120 psi, pump it to 180 psi.
7) Take a small hammer and tap firmly all around every fitting, welding seam, and any place you think might be rusted.
8) At the end, verify that the pressure is still at 150% and that nothing has bulged or cracked.
9) Mark your tank "Hydrostatic tested" with the pressure, date, and your intials. Mine is marked "Hydrostatic tested @ 180 psi 20210903 EMS"

With compressed air, if you rupture the vessel, the air will expand, causing a catastrophic event. With water, it will spew just enough water to relieve the pressure and it's a non-event.

In the Air Force, we had to hydrostatic test our own tanks on our equipment every ten years.

You must be registered for see images attach

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do your own hydrostatic testing. My small roll-around compressor is probably thirty years old, and I hydrostatic tested it a couple years ago. Then I marked the test date and pressure tested at on the side of the tank in sharpie. You need to inspect it every ten years; every five years if you're paranoid.

1) Take the tank off the compressor and remove all the fittings from the tank.
2) Install a pressure gauge in one of the ports. Plug every hole except the two end ports.
3) Stand it on end and strap it to a bench leg or build a fixture to hold it.
4) Put a 6" section of pipe in the bottom port, and install a grease zerk in the end.
5) Fill the tank completely full with water. Crank that plug into place. You should see a pressure rise on the gauge.
6) Take a grease gun and pump that zerk until the pressure reads 150% of the rated pressure. If you want to rate your tank at 120 psi, pump it to 180 psi.
7) Take a small hammer and tap firmly all around every fitting, welding seam, and any place you think might be rusted.
8) At the end, verify that the pressure is still at 150% and that nothing has bulged or cracked.
9) Mark your tank "Hydrostatic tested" with the pressure, date, and your intials. Mine is marked "Hydrostatic tested @ 180 psi 20210903 EMS"

With compressed air, if you rupture the vessel, the air will expand, causing a catastrophic event. With water, it will spew just enough water to relieve the pressure and it's a non-event.

In the Air Force, we had to hydrostatic test our own tanks on our equipment every ten years.

Thank you for that great information! Maybe it is worth saving.

However, night before last I went to Lowes and picked up a Kobalt Quiet Tech compressor that is half the weight and 10 db quieter than the Rolair. It should be much easier to haul around the farm for various jobs. And it has a three year warranty. I suppose I could take it back, but I need an operational compressor like a week ago, and this one looks like it will do the job. Maybe if the Rolair tank turns out to be sound, I can replace the pressure switch (assuming I can find one) and sell the thing, or just have two portable compressors. We’ll see.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you convert it to use a standard pressure switch? You can find one at just about any electrical supply store or even a plumbing store. Since I'm using mine for nail guns too, I have it set at off @120 PSI and on @100 PSI. Coincidentally mine is a Rol-Air too but, it's over 20 years old. It looked old when I got it in 2016 :biggrin:

Last edited:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you convert it to use a standard pressure switch? You can find ine at just about any electrical supply store or even a plumbing store. Since I'm using mine for nail guns too, I have it set at off @120 PSI and on @100 PSI. Coincidentally mine is a Rol-Air too but, it's over 20 years old. It looked old when I got it in 2016 :biggrin:

Not sure about converting it; but I think I found the right switch on eBay. So they are available after all.