My Crimson Cruiser - 1996 GMC 1500 Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry guys it took all day and it really just felt like RNG.. no good way to explain it. There’s three axis of tilt. Up down, left right, back n forth. Three jacks in different positions (and buying another floor jack) and just tilting on those three axis and trying to get the bolts in was what I did. With the spindle on. Feels like the easiest way but very time consuming. My dad helped me but I definitely learned how it worked this time instead of watching in awe. It’s not as easy as the manual makes it look, and all the YouTube videos used lifts.
You must be registered for see images attach

Okay, I’ve got the shock in, but it doesn’t have threads for the bottom? I lowered the jack and they fell right out of the bolts I put in the LCA. What do I do?

They were in there until I lowered the jack. Definitely expected. I was thinking of putting a nut on the top.

Maybe the bolts should just go in from the top? That’s just not how I took it off though.. any thoughts?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry guys it took all day and it really just felt like RNG.. no good way to explain it. There’s three axis of tilt. Up down, left right, back n forth. Three jacks in different positions (and buying another floor jack) and just tilting on those three axis and trying to get the bolts in was what I did. With the spindle on. Feels like the easiest way but very time consuming. My dad helped me but I definitely learned how it worked this time instead of watching in awe. It’s not as easy as the manual makes it look, and all the YouTube videos used lifts.

Okay, I’ve got the shock in, but it doesn’t have threads for the bottom? I lowered the jack and they fell right out of the bolts I put in the LCA. What do I do?

They were in there until I lowered the jack. Definitely expected. I was thinking of putting a nut on the top.

Maybe the bolts should just go in from the top? That’s just not how I took it off though.. any thoughts?
You take them back and tell them give you ones that actually work for your truck!!!
EVERY shock I've replaced just bolted in.
Maybe it's a case of you get what you pay for?
So I'd kick up a fuss, make them give you ones with threaded holes for what you paid for them.
What's the worst they can do, say no?

It took us a bit of fussing to get my arms in, but once they were in, it was pretty straightforward with just jacking the lower up, while holding the spring in place with a long crowbar.

Sucks your having to fight your way through this. But it will be worth it....I promise.

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You take them back and tell them give you ones that actually work for your truck!!!
EVERY shock I've replaced just bolted in.
Maybe it's a case of you get what you pay for?
So I'd kick up a fuss, make them give you ones with threaded holes for what you paid for them.
What's the worst they can do, say no?

It took us a bit of fussing to get my arms in, but once they were in, it was pretty straightforward with just jacking the lower up, while holding the spring in place with a long crowbar.

Sucks you’re having to fight your way through this. But it will be worth it....I promise.
They only have those and Monroe’s in stock.

you know what’s crazy? Parts stores and the companies Amazon page have one crappy blurry photo where you can’t tell the difference. But a used eBay listing has perfect photos.

It doesn’t appear to be threaded but it definitely appears to at least fit the size of the hex head. So I’m gonna definitely run up there and get them exchanged.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your shock is installed wrong. Those shock tabs sit on the underside of the LCA. The bolts thread through the tab into the nuts welded to the LCA.

The shock should be one of the last things installed. I’ve never seen replacements with threaded tabs. Maybe the OE ones are but I can’t speak to that.

Attachments

• IMG_9553.jpeg
    IMG_9553.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your shock is installed wrong. Those shock tabs sit on the underside of the LCA. The bolts thread through the tab into the nuts welded to the LCA.

The shock should be one of the last things installed. I’ve never seen replacements with threaded tabs. Maybe the OE ones are but I can’t speak to that.
You know what, I double checked and you are absolutely right. I see the welded nut your talking about my bolts are in them as well:

As for installation method, I totally think that makes sense. Length is my only worry though.

They are a tad bit shorter- will this be fine?

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what, I double checked and you are absolutely right. I see the welded nut your talking about my bolts are in them as well:

As for installation method, I totally think that makes sense. Length is my only worry though.

They are a tad bit shorter- will this be fine?
Yes they will be. Your suspension cycles will never max out those shocks that way.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

OMG!!!!
I can't believe I didn't catch that they were sitting on top of the arm!!! DOH!!!
Guess that's what happens when you answer questions 2hrs past bed time.

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OMG!!!!
I can't believe I didn't catch that they were sitting on top of the arm!!! DOH!!!
Guess that's what happens when you answer questions 2hrs past bed time.
I didn’t even see either. That’s what I get for working on it that late without going back to my videos and FSM lol

Very stupid mistake but hey no trips to the parts stores and a quite easy fix.