My Crimson Cruiser - 1996 GMC 1500 Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dad took me out here late at night , had me jack the control arm up and did this without taking the control arm off. Took about 3 minutes. He said, “see how I actually do it”
You must be registered for see images attach

There’s a lesson to be learned here, just gotta think on it for a bit. Tomorrow i gotta work on alignment and installing my sway bar links.

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Idler arm side is coming good

This pitman arm is having trouble though. I can’t get it high enough to go into the steering linkage. Do I just torque it down to the steering box to get it to go up higher?

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Almost. Everything torqued, everything cotter pinned. Just gonna call it here cause how late it is and I’m getting frustrated with the passenger brake pads rubbing. If you ever get frustrated this late at night and your head hurts like me, just call it. I’ve had the wheels on and off, truck on and off the ground right now. I really wanted to give her a drive tonight but I’ll be patient.

I’m gonna drop all the torque specs in the next post

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Intermediate steering shaft: 46 ft lbs

Power steering box to frame: 100 ft lbs

Ball joint bolts: 18 ft lbs

Upper ball joint to knuckle: 74 ft lbs

Lower ball joint to knuckle: 94 ft lbs

Sway bar link: 13 ft lbs (until nut meets the end of the bolt threads for torque value)

Tie rod to knuckle: 40 ft lbs

Tie rod to steering link: 40 ft lbs

Tie rod sleeve clamp nuts: 14 ft lbs

Pitman arm to power steering box: 184 ft lbs

Pitman arm to steering link: 40 ft lbs

Idler arm bracket to frame: 71 ft lbs

Idler arm to steering link: 40 ft lbs

Upper control arm bolts: 140 ft lbs

Lower control arm bolts: 101 ft lbs

GrimsterGMC

Thunder from "Down Under"
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Almost. Everything torqued, everything cotter pinned. Just gonna call it here cause how late it is and I’m getting frustrated with the passenger brake pads rubbing. If you ever get frustrated this late at night and your head hurts like me, just call it. I’ve had the wheels on and off, truck on and off the ground right now. I really wanted to give her a drive tonight but I’ll be patient.

I’m gonna drop all the torque specs in the next post
It's hard when you get this close but it's worth taking a moment and get some rest, then go back over everything you worked on to recheck before taking it out on the road. Start again tomorrow with a clear head and it will all come together for you.

aldang25879

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so I drove it around and noted a couple things. Brakes definitely are a lot worse, I’m guessing they need to be bled. So I have to learn how to bleed them. My wheel is obviously not exactly straight.

There’s still some dang play though! I’m not sure what else to tighten or fix for that. It’s a lot less , just still like an inch or so now.

Also, my power steering feels a little off. You know when you turn the wheel to full lock, and if you try and turn it some more you get that little sound? Well, it just happens occasionally with normal turning. Maybe the fluid just has to get through the lines all the way.

Last edited: