Ghost in the machine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

"Sparkle someone else's eys"
Reaction score
My new Kenwood seems to be doing just fine so far, price was great.
If you stick with the known companies, you should be fine. The Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC and Sony's of my "youth" are all still around selling gear. Probably a reason for that. I don't know or honestly trust any more of the "new" brands. I've been out of the car audio game for a while.
So basically it is going to come down to features and convenience items of each model and brand. OH JOY.... more decisions to make. I feel my OCD kicking in again!! hahahahahaha

Ken

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So basically it is going to come down to features and convenience items of each model and brand. OH JOY.... more decisions to make. I feel my OCD kicking in again!! hahahahahaha

Ken
Options paralysis......I research everything I buy or do to the max usually, and it drives me crazy.

Fine......buy a Alpine of your needed options and budget and be done.
Did that help??? Lol

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
Well, so far my OCD, ADHD, ABC, XYZ and other "ailments" have prevented me for ordering a new radio for my p-up. Well that and I'm so far out of touch with what is "the best" has me delaying any action.
I know opinions are varied but what brand receiver seems to have the least issues and preforms in a reasonable manner?
I'm not even going to ask about speakers 'cause that is a whole 'nuther animal! hahahahaha

Ken
this imho is the best as far as single din goes https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/kdc-x705/

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That Kenwood KDC-X705 would be my top choice as well for a single DIN CD player considering what's currently on the market. You might also take a look at the JVC KD-T925BTS though. Pretty much the exact same as the Kenwood except no HD radio. A little cheaper than the Kenwood, and a different look.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDT925B/JVC-KD-T925BTS.html

@Wh4t3v3rs advised me a while back that Kenwood now owns JVC, so I'm sure they're very similar to operate. I do like that the Kenwood has the phone call buttons both on the left side nearest to the driver though, the JVC has the "End" button on the right side.

Kind of makes me sad that Pioneer doesn't seem to have anything that competes with those... I love my ancient DEH-P880PRS CD players in my '97s. They have all the bells and whistles including motorized face plates and I've had zero functional issues with them in almost 20 years.

kenh

Reaction score
Well....... now only three choices..... At least now I'm down to a year to make a decision. BWAAAAhahahaha

So if you have a real world experience with these. How easy is the display to read in the daylight? The radio in my work truck (2018 Peterbuilt) has a display that is near impossible to see in the daytime. Thanks!!!!

Ken

Last edited:

kenh

Reaction score
Options paralysis......I research everything I buy or do to the max usually, and it drives me crazy.

Fine......buy a Alpine of your needed options and budget and be done.
Did that help??? Lol

The one choice at crutchfield looks kind of interesting especially so because it favors android. Might have to see what else Alpine offers?????
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500UTE73BT/Alpine-UTE-73BT.html?tp=5684

EDIT: Well that was a waste. Only the one above that truly fits our trucks. Still worth considering though.... maybe..... (sigh)

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cheapo bluetooth Kenwood I put in WCJr is pretty good. The sound quality on phone calls is excellent and the person on the other end can't hear how loud the truck is. My only complaint is that Spotify has too many annoying commercials. I really like having a stereo that can play mp3 CDs.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The cheapo bluetooth Kenwood I put in WCJr is pretty good. The sound quality on phone calls is excellent and the person on the other end can't hear how loud the truck is. My only complaint is that Spotify has too many annoying commercials. I really like having a stereo that can play mp3 CDs.
I spent the extra $20 something for the CD player version. Never know when data drops and can't listen to Amazon or YouTube music.
Still freaks me out that my 2020 Ram doesn't have a CD player. But I guess that's how grampa felt when no 8-tracks in his Lincoln Town Cars.