Ghost in the machine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I was wondering about that. The radio needs replaced anyway as it cracks, pops and looses volume control sometimes. Half the buttons work on an as needed basis as determined by the radio and the weather!

Drunkcanuk, thanks for the reminder about Crutchfield. I've bought from before but it has been 20ish???? years. I'll give then a look see again!

Do the shallow radios still require that goofy looking new dash mounting panel?

Ken

It's just the CDM being wonky. I hate aftermarket in the 1st generation dash style as they stand out like t-i-t-s on a dude. So if it were me, I'd search treasure yards for a replacement, any from '88 to '94 will do, so long as they're the same style radio + tape deck you've got. Crack open the case, verify no burst capacitors or green crusties on the circuit board and you should be OK. If you must go aftermarket, you probably will want the "goofy looking" dash panel that protrudes forward. Will make the awkward reach slightly less awkward.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Prefer 93-94 CDMs, single circuit board and a lot fewer electrolytic caps to go bad. Part number 16172125 for systems with the 5-band equalizer next to the tape deck, 16172115 for the head with the Bass/Treb buttons. The newer/better ones look like the ones in the lower half of this pic, note the heat sinks - the black ones were used 88-91 or 92, the others 93-94:

You must be registered for see images attach

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone use one of these retro sound units? Fits the factory spot I guess???

Ken
Lots of people have used them. All the reviews seem to be happy with them.
Last I checked, there were 3 different ones available, so make sure if you go that way, you get the right one for your needs. And don't forget to plan for the future, extra RCA's for amps etc.

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crutchfield is nice as they have the accessories to make install nice and clean. I put in those same kicker speakers and a boss setupw the display and ran the usbs to the glovebox. Stuck a 10" sub/amp under the seat and it is plenty loud for even my metalhead 19yr old. Not that i am not going to add more tho... :)

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
CRutchfield is nice as they have the accessories to make install nice and clean. I put in those same kicker speakers and a boss setupw the display and ran the usbs to the glovebox. Stuck a 10" sub/amp under the seat and it is plenty loud for even my metalhead 19yr old. Not that i am not going to add more tho... :)
yes they are great sonic electronix is pretty good as well for that stuff

kenh

"Sparkle someone else's eys"
Reaction score
Well..... after looking at the Retro Sound I am not going with that system. The promise of the it fitting the factory location is a neat thing but they just look clunky in operation. A couple reviews mentioned that some extra buttons would make operation easier. Also to me the face of the unit just looks plain, like it doesn't match anything. AND the damn I-phone thing just ****** me off!!! hahaha

Crutchfield is certainly convenient with how they offer the kits to make installation easy. Right now though they do not offer the red dash conversion panel. Every other color though. Story of my life! Those panels are available on E-Bay though for around $15

Off to find something else.

Ken