99 P30 (L29/Motorhome) Wheel Bearing Seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wmoura

Reaction score
I am replacing the front wheel bearings on this motorhome chassis and I am not sure if these seals are correct. From watching countless videos on the subject, it seems like the inner seal should require some hammering to go into its resting place and hold the bearing in place. The seals that come up on every auto parts store and online for this model are the ones shown in the pictures and are the same ones that were installed there before, however I am not confident these weren't replaced before and because this is the part that comes up they just put it in anyway. The part fits the cavity just right but would fall off if I turned it over. Both left and right wheels are the same and have the same seal. Does this seem right? The seal fits around the base of the spindle just right. Its just not super tight in the hub which makes it harder to install as it wants to fall out while installing, but once in place its fine. Thanks for anyone's insight on this. I took some measurements in case that helps any. ~77.4mm is the diameter of the cavity and the seal specs say 76.3mm.

Attachments

• IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 4

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Yep! Hence why it matters. :) Some of those coaches are the beam axle like a 3500HD, others are control arm setups which will surprise you when you go under thinking it'll have the beam.

Richard

wmoura

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s I-Beam. In the manual they call it “Independent suspension”. I’m pretty sure it has a control arm. Either way that other part number 5682 seems to be too small. 4740 is the one I got.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s I-Beam. In the manual they call it “Independent suspension”. I’m pretty sure it has a control arm. Either way that other part number 5682 seems to be too small. 4740 is the one I got.
Independent would definitely not be the beam axle.

I'd say from the application it sounds like you bought the correct part, but possibly the brand you got is designed incorrectly. They're super inexpensive; maybe try a different brand? Maybe compare info/pics on Rock's site in an effort to avoid getting the same part just repackaged under a different name.

Example, lots of variables here with what the listings advertise:

Timken 4740 OD 3.003"
BCA NS4740 OD 3"
SKF 21756 OD 3.005" <--- hmmm
National 4740 3.004"
GM GENUINE 290268 3"

Richard

Last edited:

wmoura

Reaction score
Independent would definitely not be the beam axle.

I'd say from the application it sounds like you bought the correct part, but possibly the brand you got is designed incorrectly. They're super inexpensive; maybe try a different brand? Maybe compare info/pics on Rock's site in an effort to avoid getting the same part just repackaged under a different name.

Example, lots of variables here with what the listings advertise:

Timken 4740 OD 3.003"
BCA NS4740 OD 3"
SKF 21756 OD 3.005" <--- hmmm
National 4740 3.004"
GM GENUINE 290268 3"

Richard

None of those ODs would go in tight. This must be how this thing is designed? Maybe what I got out of it was the original and that's just how these work. :shrug:

wmoura

Reaction score
The exact same as the one I bought, it goes in the same way, not tight. Fits the space just right but not tight.

someotherguy

Reaction score
I see what appear to be brand new rotors. What do the originals measure in that spot? I feel like we're missing part of the picture here.

When I replaced the rotors on my '93 C3500, the bearing dust caps don't fit tight. They're not only loose in the bore, and also only seat halfway in, because the rotors are machined incorrectly. I thought I was doing well by spending the bucks to get Raybestos rotors but I'm unimpressed with that particular "feature" ..

Richard