Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To add to bluex, bag the tag/notecard or wrap packing tape over it to isolate it from grease contamination inside the parts bag. Nothing like putting the forethought into tagging them just to have a grease/oil soaked tag you can't read.
Geez.... it's almost like you guys have done this before!! Lol
Thanks for your tip.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Started teardown.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sure is a filthy pig that's for sure!
I'm going to have to see if that's "normal" for the intake runners on the heads to have that black stuff. It's the same on all eight. My gut is telling me probably not! Lol

Will continue in a bit, just got called by woman to go get medicine for the remaining kitties that came here a few weeks back. 2/5 are still kicking. Apparently vet said he's amazed these two are still around. Something about "fading kitty" syndrome. Mom rejected them all and they never got what they needed to survive via the boob juice.

I'll post some more updates later once I've returned.
Oh....and need more Ziploc bags....woman not going to be happy I used what we had without replacing them.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Thats pretty normal. The inside of your intake probably looks the same. Joys of running a PCV. You can see where the injectors have kept parts of the runners washed clean.

GM changed some things in the valve covers on the later years, there is an updated version, and people have some videos on modifications.

Id ditch that DBW.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats pretty normal. The inside of your intake probably looks the same. Joys of running a PCV. You can see where the injectors have kept parts of the runners washed clean.

GM changed some things in the valve covers on the later years, there is an updated version, and people have some videos on modifications.

Id ditch that DBW.
What's the aversion to DBW?
Genuinely curious.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Genuinely curious.
Drive By Wire, I prefer the DBW to be honest.

My 2012 6.0 had an oil burning issue, it was the factory valve cover lacking a baffle under the PCV that caused it but it went un-fixed till a whole after i had the truck and a friend diagnosed and fixed it for me. It’s a common issue, but an easy fix. The heads should be removed and cleaned, it is a lot of build up that you have and it will contaminate your combustion chamber with each intake exhaust cycle. Once the oil coating covers your pistons and cylinder head combustion chambers it screws up your ability to properly set your fuel and timing without pre ignition or detonation.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The easiest way I’ve found so far is to use plain white paper with the a regular pen and then put scotch clear tape over your writing to keep it from getting oil soaked as others have said. Packing tape works too but it’s way more cumbersome. I add the paper notes into the ziplocks. I will use larger ziplocks to bunch up categories of fasteners into categories like “front side engine accessories” or “starter” etc. believe me I learned this the hard way after the years of poor fastener sorting and storage.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The easiest way I’ve found so far is to use plain white paper with the a regular pen and then put scotch clear tape over your writing to keep it from getting oil soaked as others have said. Packing tape works too but it’s way more cumbersome. I add the paper notes into the ziplocks. I will use larger ziplocks to bunch up categories of fasteners into categories like “front side engine accessories” or “starter” etc. believe me I learned this the hard way after the years of poor fastener sorting and storage.
Oh hell,just snatch it off and throw it all in a bucket,half the fun is figuring out where it all went. When I started clock repair I would have three wire baskets for the individual trains. Now I just throw it all in one big basket and run it through the ultrasonic as one batch. Sometimes I'll take a clock movement apart and leave it that way for a few months just to stay on top of my game. What's really fun is when someone brings one as a box of parts after they realized they were in over their head.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Genuinely curious.
I can see the aversion. I know they have fixed the bugs since that guy ran through that protest and killed a woman because his throttle went WOT on it's own. They charged him with vehicular manslaughter until it was proven that model car had an issue with the DBW. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur but I wouldn't have a computer controlling the throttle,,,,,,,,,or brakes!!!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well. Torn down as much as possible. Wasn't going to drop $300 on a puller for the damper, sure my dad or buddy have one. Also didn't wanna pay $150 for an organizer for the valve train components!!! This will do for now, may check what Mr Cokrocket has to offer.
May flip it tomorrow and pop the oil pan and pop a cap off to see what the crank looks like.

Cleaned a few shelves off for my own selfish needs! Lol

Kinda worried about wear on camshaft.

A few tool box trays will work for now.

Lots of carbon on the pistons, kinda expected that. And cylinder walls seem pretty smooth, no crosshatch left. Maybe going in farther than I wanted too! Lol

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can see the aversion. I know they have fixed the bugs since that guy ran through that protest and killed a woman because his throttle went WOT on it's own. They charged him with vehicular manslaughter until it was proven that model car had an issue with the DBW. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur but I wouldn't have a computer controlling the throttle,,,,,,,,,or brakes!!!
I still struggle not having a steering shaft on my 2020 Ram..... spooky!!! Lol