Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, that's what I kinda figured. I'll do a bit of research on it, see if my buddy really wants this one and to go through the trouble of finding me a 2wd one. We can grab 4wd trannies any day of the week.
Check these guys out,pretty fair prices on used tranny parts.

Rather than buy another used tranny freshen up the one you have and buy the parts to make it a 2WD tranny.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Buddy came out for a visit today, we popped a valve cover off today, looks pretty darn clean under there, definitely seen pics and videos of worse.
Confirmed it's definitely a LQ4 via the casting number, but will feel a lot better seeing the 6.0 mark once the transmission is separated.
Ran the VIN and it came back as an 03.
Gonna pick up his engine stand this week and bring it back. Plan is he's going to come over next weekend and will start tearing it down for gaskets and stuff. And get it cleaned up better on the stand. Was hard washing it in the box of the truck.
We did some planning and bench racing, lol.

1/2 assed plan is to tear it down and reseal it, maybe drop the oil pan and pop a cap off to see what the bearing looks like. Then start putting it back together with everything needed before the snow flies. Gather the bits and bobbles so they are in the garage. Yank the engine when the driving season is over but before it costs a fortune to heat the garage. Then strip the trucks harness and drag it downstairs and set it on a sheet of plywood and start wiring project.
And once it starts warming up, stab the works in and get it plumbed and wired, and hopefully ready for when the roads are ready.

So ya....we all know how plans go, but a 1/2 ass plan is better than none. Few options still for transmission, he definitely wants the T-case, and will see if he can dig up a 2wd, either a 4l80 or now a 4L65e as it should hold up and easier fitment in the truck.

And he even swung by my parents place and strapped my door to the roof of his wife's SUV and bought it out for me!!! What a guy!! Lol

And chatting in the garage with woman there, and he's making all these plans ($$$$$) and I'm kinda resisting talking the engine down as much as he's talking about($$$), she said you may as well do it right and spend the money now before it's in the truck and you have to tear it out again. So at least she's 1/4 assed on board!!! Lol
Hell, she encouraged it!!

Thatlowchevy

How’d I get inside this tube?!?!
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and get a PSI harness, it’s so much better than fighting 20+ year old wiring and they leave you plenty of options for accessories like AC and electric fans. I had paid a shop to thin out a harness for my ‘72 C10 and it was nothing but issues. Spent $600 at PSI and has been great for the last 4-5 years

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and get a PSI harness, it’s so much better than fighting 20+ year old wiring and they leave you plenty of options for accessories like AC and electric fans. I had paid a shop to thin out a harness for my ‘72 C10 and it was nothing but issues. Spent $600 at PSI and has been great for the last 4-5 years
I hear you on that. But getting one from them would be close to a grand with the exchange rate here I'm sure.
This isn't even a beer budget build, as beer is damn expensive now!!! Lol
I will have approximately 4-6 months to work on the harness. The wiring in my truck is actually in really good shape. The truck was always kept clean under the hood when it was my daily. And has been garaged for almost 2 decades. So I'm not too worried about it's condition.
I grabbed the full harness, ECM and fuse box for the 6.0 when I pulled it. So the provisions for E-fans are there if I decide to head that route, and A/C wiring came along for the ride as well.

Believe me, I'd love to pull a new harness out of a box and plug it in, I really would. But this is gonna be more of a sweat equity swap/build that a wallet wrench one. LOL
I have the support of a few really smart guys who have done these swaps before, lots of information available on the web, YouTube and here of course.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you need an engine stand I have 4 here and I will only need one or two this winter.
Thanks bud, but I'm just grabbing one from my buddy, he's literally 2 blocks from me in the city.
But thanks for the offer though.
And that leaves you extras for more projects!!! Lol
Just gotta find yourself an 8.1! Lol