Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
THIS IS WHAT IT TOOK TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!!
We tried yanking it out the front, but the T-case just wouldn't clear a bracket on the drivers side, and if you look, they put the vehicles up on these stands, and couldn't get the trans to drop down for the angle to clear the oil pan over the front axle.
So loader dude called the yard guy, he came and took a look, he calls another guy who brings an impact over, he gets under and pulls the body bolts, a few times....lol. And bam....things in the air, he drops the body off down the isle.
I headed to the gate to grab my truck, buddy stays back and tanks the whole shabang with them.
Only reason I took off was they are done at 3:30...that pic was at 3:15!!!
So I didn't want them to just go away without getting it loaded, can't load it without paying.
We drove out of the lot at 3:30 on the dot!!!
Talk about stressing the ol ticker!!!!
I was sweating like a pig!!! Lol

The transmission is definitely not a 4l80 though.
@Sean Buick 76 is sure it's a 4L65e and buddy is sure it's an AWD transfer case. Either way he still wants it and will find me a 2wd 4l80. So it's his problem I guess!! Lol

I believe I will have to find a new ECM, bit of research on that in my future.
The friggin gas pedal was a "power pedal" adjustable one, again....gotta figure out how that's going to work.

I'm just super stoked I have one on my possession now.
Plan is to head to the carwash tomorrow with a can of degreaser, cuz dang!!! She's a filthy girl!!!
Definitely power steering leak for a while, some engine oil as well. So I'll clean it up, put it in the garage, and next weekend hopefully, split the transmission off and get it up on an engine stand.
I'm in no rush to get it in, but we are going to crack it open, and replace the leaking gaskets and stuff. Hopefully no farther than popping heads off to take a boo.
Probably start a new thread over on the LSX engine section at some point as well, especially if I have questions.....and I know I will!!! At least it will get more visibility there.

So ya.......woohoo!!!!
Crown Royal Black time!!
I need it! Lol

Edit.... forgot to mention the price, $850 loonies! Considering everyone wants $3000-$3500...I'm ok with it!!!
Should actually start just yanking them whenever I have a weekday off would, flip.tnem.for a few g's....help fund the truck build. Maybe, but probably not!! Lol

Last edited:

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
SWEET!!!!

I'm glad you got it, and that was a really good deal.

I wouldn't pull the heads, if I were you. Stuff like that can lead to project creep, and a good chance its all fine. Getting it in, and everything working is a job in itself.

If you were to address anything. I would pull the pan and put a new O ring on the oil pump pickup tube. And if you wanted to go farther, LS cam bearings are kind of on the sucky side, but if you did cam bearings, might as well toss a better cam in.

I don't think you need a new ECM for the transmission, they should be able to flash whatever to it. You'll need VATS removed. Rear O2's disabled, and a few other things. I had to grab a new ECM myself, due to wanting to switch to DBC. The van ECM's have the needed hardware in the computer. I would recommend heading over to lt1swap.com, and soaking it all in.

The cruise can be a little more of a pain, with DBC due to cable length, but I didn't want to have to tune a stupid gas pedal, or the torque management...etc.

You can find cheap mounts on ebay for like $35 bucks, that just fit over the stock mounts, and position the engine in the same spot the small block was. Basically they are just a less expensive "dirty dingo" mount. They have them with bolt patterns, and with slots. I just got the ones with the patterns drilled.

There is a lot of little crap, like the brass adapter for the radiator to steam line, and other stuff I still have on my ebay list. If you want any info, just ask. I pretty much did mine with a limited budget in mind.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SWEET!!!!

I'm glad you got it, and that was a really good deal.

I wouldn't pull the heads, if I were you. Stuff like that can lead to project creep, and a good chance its all fine. Getting it in, and everything working is a job in itself.

If you were to address anything. I would pull the pan and put a new O ring on the oil pump pickup tube. And if you wanted to go farther, LS cam bearings are kind of on the sucky side, but if you did cam bearings, might as well toss a better cam in.

I don't think you need a new ECM for the transmission, they should be able to flash whatever to it. You'll need VATS removed. Rear O2's disabled, and a few other things. I had to grab a new ECM myself, due to wanting to switch to DBC. The van ECM's have the needed hardware in the computer. I would recommend heading over to lt1swap.com, and soaking it all in.

The cruise can be a little more of a pain, with DBC due to cable length, but I didn't want to have to tune a stupid gas pedal, or the torque management...etc.

You can find cheap mounts on ebay for like $35 bucks, that just fit over the stock mounts, and position the engine in the same spot the small block was. Basically they are just a less expensive "dirty dingo" mount. They have them with bolt patterns, and with slots. I just got the ones with the patterns drilled.

There is a lot of little crap, like the brass adapter for the radiator to steam line, and other stuff I still have on my ebay list. If you want any info, just ask. I pretty much did mine with a limited budget in mind.
Thanks for the tips. I did some research obviously, but didn't wanna go too deep into it until I knew exactly what I had to work with.
It's a DBW unit, so integrating the pedal, especially the power one, and TAC module will be interesting.
There will definitely be a few nickels and dimes for all the gizmos and widgets to piece it all together. But I'm not yanking mine until I have most of them.
There is definitely plans for a cam to slide on in there, but probably not until it's a verified runner.
As for gaskets and seals, gotta get this thing sealed up as it's definitely leaking. But I'll definitely be aware of scope creep! Just have to keep Sean and my buddy Greg in check!!! Lol

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It has hydro boost so that's why there are so many power steering hoses.
Was a lot of hoses....was!!! Lol
Ya, plans are to research what different types of pumps are on these beasts, definitely not doing hydro boost on this thing....yet! Lol
And find the way to get vacuumed too the booster.
Lots of research in my future!!! Lol