1996 K2500 Sub L29 454 Hesitation off idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Has anyone ever found the reason for the stumble off idle?
The engine fully warmed up, at idle 650rpm, at a stop... then press the gas pedal to start moving and the engine will surge / hesitate, then jump up to about 900 RPM and the truck drives perfectly normal from there.

Live data all looks good, timing is correct, did a smoke test no vacuum leaks. So far I have replaced:
-Intake gaskets
-Fuel injectors and regulator
-Fuel pump
-Distributor, wires and plugs
-Idle control valve - It seemed lazy
-Timing chain and sprockets
-Crankshaft sensor
-O2 Sensors

And so far have not been able to resolve this..... Any inside greatly appreciated.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throttle body nice 'n' clean? BOTH sides of the throttle plate, and the housing it seals against? IAC passage clean?

"I" would be looking next at the EGR timing. Is this a vacuum EGR valve, or one of the newer solenoid-style? Does it engage directly off-idle? Correct EGR valve? IF this is a vacuum valve, does the big-block come with a pinhole in the vacuum nipple, that the aftermarket valves don't have, as is the case with (at least some of) the small-blocks?

Then, I'd make sure the electronic spark advance was working properly, and the cam offset was correct.

Is there such a thing as a lazy MAF sensor? I know they can get dirty, and they can fail and act funky. Twice as common if there's an oiled-gauze air filter in place. Worth checking out.

6sand9s

Reaction score
Well, weird thing unplug map sensor, everything defaults open loop runs fine., only after sitting still and taking off or powerbrake between idle and 1100 rpm , acts like a dip in fuel volume or not rich enough ,monitored fuel pressure ok at 59, acts just like egr flys open for a second but have blocked that off. believe to have 502 marine cam when rebuilt, only dips once when it happens and takes off. no code ,fuel trims look perfect tps iac have no spikes ,maf and o2 sensors been replaced. Wearing my a$$ out.

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of mine has been doing that for a long time with a stock cam/intake (336k). Falls flat on it's face for a full second. It's worse in spring and fall. The OP has done everything I have, plus some. I need to do intake gaskets again and a rear seal, so I'll be chasing it again soon, especially since I just cracked the front axle on the tractor and have to pivot on projects.

Watching intently. :popcorn: