Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha, I had to laugh when I seen that turbo. That's about how it goes here too, I know this train all to well.
Yup....Sean is a baaaaaad influence!!! Lol
And my other buddy is an enabler....if they ever get together it will turn out like the gate keeper and key master from Ghostbusters, and I'm definitely screwed then!!! Lol

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be concerned about 5-8 psi on a 250,000 mile engine… We call them “pre gapped” engines as they are all broken in. Either way it will be a bad assed truck with or without the turbo. Plus it came with a buy back option so he’s not out anything if he ends up happy with it naturally aspirated.

That being said it would be a good idea to remove the rods and pistons to clean them up. It’s less of a ring gap issue and more of a concern about the rings being sticky from gunk that may make the ring ends more likely to touch each other which is called “butting the rings”.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be concerned about 5-8 psi on a 250,000 mile engine… We call them “pre gapped” engines as they are all broken in. Either way it will be a bad assed truck with or without the turbo. Plus it came with a buy back option so he’s not out anything if he ends up happy with it naturally aspirated.
I think/know you are going to be heavily leaned on trying to plan this out and bring it to fruition.
And for that I'm pre-grateful.

Had a wacky thought on the drive home. Doing it like the newer generation Rams do them. Put them under the truck because there is no room in the engine bay.

Doing it differently just to be different. Lol

And ya, having it cammed maybe just enough to scare/keep me happy. Time will tell.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, all you need to do is add a little pump to transport the oil turbo back to the engine. Or run a stand alone oil system for the turbo, it’s not a big deal. The downside is also an advantage. Extra piping to and from the turbo adds complexity but also allows time to cool the boosted air as it travels back up to the engine. Surprisingly there isn’t normally a boost lag issue with this setup.

I think the biggest challenge is protecting the turbo from the elements in this arrangement.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, all you need to do is add a little pump to transport the oil turbo back to the engine. Or run a stand alone oil system for the turbo, it’s not a big deal. The downside is also an advantage. Extra piping to and from the turbo adds complexity but also allows time to cool the boosted air as it travels back up to the engine. Surprisingly there isn’t normally a boost lag issue with this setup.

I think the biggest challenge is protecting the turbo from the elements in this arrangement.
No more gravel roads at 120km hr??? Lol
Those days are loooooooong gone for that truck.
It would be neat, keep the engine tidy, and possibly negate the need for an intercooler.
Man....this is gonna keep me up at night! Lol

Maybe I'll integrate it with a blow through sub box I'm the bed!!! Lol
Use the ports as an intercooler!
"Seriously officer, the bass is this loud so I don't melt my engine down!"
Man I'm silly when I'm tired!!! Lol

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI my plan is to move the battery to the drivers side and place the turbo beside the AC compressor towards where the battery used to sit. An electric fan gives room to do the cross over from the drivers side header that faces forward and have it routed to up front over to the turbo where it merges with the passenger side header.

The advantage of this is that it avoids having a pipe come behind the engine and back up into the engine bay to meet the other pipe. The issue becomes space as you need both a pipe coming up from under the truck back into the engine bay and also the down pipe from the turbo occupying the same space.

If a remote turbo is done it could be located where the Y pipe was from factory, or just back from there. And you could use basically all the stock exhaust before that point.

One thing is for sure once you feel the turbo boost on a V8 you will be addicted, and the noises alone are insane.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI my plan is to move the battery to the drivers side and place the turbo beside the AC compressor towards where the battery used to sit. An electric fan gives room to do the cross over from the drivers side header that faces forward and have it routed to up front over to the turbo where it merges with the passenger side header.

The advantage of this is that it avoids having a pipe come behind the engine and back up into the engine bay to meet the other pipe. The issue becomes space as you need both a pipe coming up from under the truck back into the engine bay and also the down pipe from the turbo occupying the same space.

If a remote turbo is done it could be located where the Y pipe was from factory, or just back from there. And you could use basically all the stock exhaust before that point.

One thing is for sure once you feel the turbo boost on a V8 you will be addicted, and the noises alone are insane.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Ya, I'm going to look into moving my battery to the drivers side as well, even just for the swap.
Keep it more "factory" instead of running long ass, expensive battery cables from one side to the other.