Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
To echo Hipster, it is a big deal. I'm just as excited for you as I will be to have a garage of my own one day.
yes, one would think that was a prerequisite. Not my world but most times subs are required to furnish this info.
For small one off jobs, my employer rarely has to furnish that stuff. Only when we become preferred or contracted.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To echo Hipster, it is a big deal. I'm just as excited for you as I will be to have a garage of my own one day.

For small one off jobs, my employer rarely has to furnish that stuff. Only when we become preferred or contracted.
yeah, kinda not my thing, you need x number of employee's before you need to carry workers comp etc. Totally not up on it these days.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My inside box was mounted on uni-strut It seems to be a common way to do this, and have seen quite few others done the same way.
Yeah, I've used uni-strut (or Super Strut) in lots of industrial applications but it has its limitations too. You need a special bracket or clip for everything. As you can see, I have a couple outlets and my conduit is strapped to the back board since, NEC requires it to be supported within 3' of a connector. I use 1/4" lag bolts mostly for the hardware. I know this is residential but I cut my teeth in heavy manufacturing. Even certified in Allen Bradley PLC (Programmable Logic Controllers) controls, NEC70E and OSHA 30. Enough of that! :rolleyes:

for my situation tying into the house would have required lots of hand digging around a septic and drain field so it's on a separate meter.
I have 42 solar panels on my roof so, I'm tied into them too. My trench is only ~70' long. Some states don't allow separate meters on smaller properties.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I've used uni-strut (or Super Strut) in lots of industrial applications but it has its limitations too. You need a special bracket or clip for everything. As you can see, I have a couple outlets and my conduit is strapped to the back board since, NEC requires it to be supported within 3' of a connector. I use 1/4" lag bolts mostly for the hardware. I know this is residential but I cut my teeth in heavy manufacturing. Even certified in Allen Bradley PLC (Programmable Logic Controllers) controls, NEC70E and OSHA 30. Enough of that! :rolleyes:

I have 42 solar panels on my roof so, I'm tied into them too. My trench is only ~70' long. Some states don't allow separate meters on smaller properties.
I have 1.25 acres and separate power flew here mostly because the building had footers etc. According to to code i needed those supports wherever there was a "break" in the tubing that was not supported. Ie: if a conduit end was 2 ft off a junction box it called for a support, Conduit joining tube tube/sleeve not withstanding. Everything is in conduit and it passed inspection as per "code" I was looking from a if I ever sell perspecrive so I wanted stuff in code and those Support brackets are in multiple places if we are talking about the same items. They were relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. A couple off the box wasn't a major cost when you need them elsewhere. Kind of forgot at this point , they were a few dollars a piece and the guy used a handful of them. A couple/3 off the box and and a few in the ceiling runs. Inspector was more worried that I had an exterior light above my entry /exit door than anything else it seemed and for whatever reason ended up with 2 grounding rods outside the building. I didn't didn't care enough to even ask. Like an old gmt 400 can't have too many grounds lol.

Last edited: