Best deep muffler for 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going with the Dynomax with the built in X-pipe. I'm a fan of Magnaflow, too.
I'm planning on building my own expansion chamber muffler where the large front chamber will create the crossover. the muffler will be about 30" back from the right side collector with the left side crossing over under the tranny tail housing. Probably not the ideal spot for the crossover but with the fuel tank on the left side that's gonna have to work.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For wide open throttle max HP the large exhaust pipes are best. For low to medium throttle driving smaller pipes will give better fuel mileage and throttle response within reason. For example a 350 with a dual 3” will have a higher peak HP than a dual 2” but the 2” will give better drivability. The happy medium being dual 2.5”.

Carlosm86

Reaction score
Lots of great suggestions on here!! For budget or at least a little cheaper than magnaflow, look into street max mufflers they are exactly like magnaflow with x pipe crossover built within on their DI/DO mufflers. Or flowmonster muffler. I personally went with JBA long tubes, flowmaster high flow cats, and black widow 250 DI/DO all 2.5 piping.

Ohlie

Reaction score
Looking for mufflers on a 5.7 that are deep and have little to no (preferably no) drone. I saw Thrush Welded chambered, Flowmaster 40 (but I hear they have a droning problem). Is there a good option fitting my list?
No cats. True dual to a flowmaster 70, duel in duel out, dumped over the axel. It sounds good with no drone and i can barely hear it in the cab.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My 2 cents on my current set up. I haven't heard anything sound better come from a stock 5.7. No drone, however it is somewhat loud. Cruising with the windows up you can have a perfectly fine conversation with your passengers. With the windows down, not so much. I'm running a K&N CAI (this will change the tone for sure) breathing through Gibson shorty headers into Magnaflow high-flow cats into a custom X pipe into 12" Thrush Glasspacks, split exit diagonally behind the rear wheels. All connected with 2.5" fully welded 304 Stainless. No tips. When you stomp on it, it definitely sounds like you're at the drag strip. Cruising is loud but not unbearable. I like exhaust noise and hate my neighbors.... so I couldn't ask for a better exhaust. It really woke up my suburban.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know my Borla straight through outperformed my ProFlow multi chambered "Performance" muffler with my SOTP Dyno.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's what Engine Masters came up with comparing 2-1/2 true duals to 3" Y single, with Turbo against Straight Through mufflers. Guess what? 3" Y, straight through FTW! :33:
You must be registered for see images attach

John DeWitt

Reaction score
My 2 cents on my current set up. I haven't heard anything sound better come from a stock 5.7. No drone, however it is somewhat loud. Cruising with the windows up you can have a perfectly fine conversation with your passengers. With the windows down, not so much. I'm running a K&N CAI (this will change the tone for sure) breathing through Gibson shorty headers into Magnaflow high-flow cats into a custom X pipe into 12" Thrush Glasspacks, split exit diagonally behind the rear wheels. All connected with 2.5" fully welded 304 Stainless. No tips. When you stomp on it, it definitely sounds like you're at the drag strip. Cruising is loud but not unbearable. I like exhaust noise and hate my neighbors.... so I couldn't ask for a better exhaust. It really woke up my suburban.
Not knocking your setup sir, but I couldn't bring myself to run a K&N air "filter". In pursuit of a little better flow, I opted for the larger "heavy-duty" air filter. Wix brand, but have contemplated upgrading to the Volant PowerCore true CAI