Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good progress! Even better when they show up the next day!

Are you sure it was mariachi? Could have been conjunto...I'm not claiming to be an expert, but there is a difference :biggrin:
Yes, they showed up and wasted no time in getting started.

Interesting tidbit on the music. I blithely assumed it was mariachi music because, well, that’s what folks south of the border play, right? Sometimes I’m just mentally lazy.

But a quick google search confirmed that it is most likely conjunto. The giveaway should have been the predominance of accordians.

So thanks! I learned something, and the day is still young! :waytogo:

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But even once the doors are in, it will still take me a while to wire it. So temp lighting seems like a viable approach.
1st, I wanna say - looking good! You'll enjoy it for years to come, and wonder how you ever got by without it, enjoy! :waytogo:

Mine was different, I wired the shop and, while waiting to trench and install the service, I took an extension cord, from my RV hookup, to the shop. I back-fed the panel with a 2-pole, 30 Amp breaker since the RV outlet was 30 Amp and I used 10 GA wire (you can see my home, made 8 GA welder extension cord there). FYI - I used a 4x8x3/4 sheet of plywood from the floor to the 8' girt, for the distribution area, gives you plenty of room for your panel, conduit supports, and accessories. Stayed like that for a couple Months until I hired a backhoe. Later after doors and my air compressor were installed, I wired them in too. There's usually a work around to get it going, just be creative and SAFE. :33:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st, I wanna say - looking good! You'll enjoy it for years to come, and wonder how you ever got by without it, enjoy! :waytogo:
Thanks! I only wish that I’d done it sooner.
Mine was different, I wired the shop and, while waiting to trench and install the service, I took an extension cord, from my RV hookup, to the shop. I back-fed the panel with a 2-pole, 30 Amp beaker since the RV outlet was 30 Amp and I used 10 GA wire (you can see my home, made 8 GA welder extension cord there). FYI - I used a 4x8x3/4 sheet of plywood from the floor to the 8' girt, for the distribution area, gives you plenty of room for your panel, conduit supports, and accessories. Stayed like that for a couple Months until I hired a backhoe. Later after doors and my air compressor were installed, I wired them in too. There's usually a work around to get it going, just be creative and SAFE. :33:

You must be registered for see images attach

I hadn’t yet decided which type of panel backing to use, but ¾“ plywood seems like a good way to go.

As you say, temporary power is really helpful at this stage as it takes the main power trenching off of the critical path for making the building usable. Our trench is going to be challenging because of its route through the rock pathways in the garden.

I am looking forward to doing the wiring; but knowing me it will take a lot longer than I believe possible.

And yes - Safety first, particularly when dealing with electricity.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks - I hadn’t thought of that. The walls are 12’, and on the end where the 6’ rollup door is, it’s taller.

There is potentially some overhead space to be had.
With mine I'm thinking a platform of some sort. It would be a place to store some stuff long term. last garage I had a rope block and tackle a could get various things overhead that you wouldn't be good with going up a ladder. 4 ft of height above a door/platform can store a surprising amount of crap. lol I typically hoard car crap. You never seem to need the stuff until after you've thrown it out.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think they will get done today? Only about 2-3 hours more of sunlight
I’m having my doubts. I think they’ll get the building done, but cleaning up will be pretty tough. There are a lot of screws and metal pieces from cutting the siding and roofing laying around amongst the dried leaves. I’d think it would be nearly impossible doing that in the dark.

We’ll see. They just got the roof on. Now for the trim to go up.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With mine I'm thinking a platform of some sort. It would be a place to store some stuff long term. last garage I had a rope block and tackle a could get various things overhead that you wouldn't be good with going up a ladder. 4 ft of height above a door/platform can store a surprising amount of crap. lol I typically hoard car crap. You never seem to need the stuff until after you've thrown it out.
A platform could come in handy. I like the block and tackle idea too.