1992 454 is to loud for me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The exhaust appears to be factory other than the cat is gone and it has what looks like a resonator in its' place. The muffler the shop put on appears to be the same size as the one that was removed. I do not expect to get it Tesla quiet but surely it can be better than it is, I am open to suggestions.
And don't rule out hushmat, I love that stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_20230228_200742471.jpg
    IMG_20230228_200742471.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 5

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Makes me wonder what muffler is on it. Ive had many 454s, even the 2 I have now are not that loud. My 2000 has flex pipe exhaust right now cause of the SAS interferes with the stock pipes, and even with the exhaust leaks, it's not that loud. The muffler is being run backwards, i think it's a Gibson. Actually has a pretty nice note to it. Another truck i had was dual in single out, think it was a summit brand, it was fully welded and IIRC stainless, but been 20 years. I took it off cause wanted louder lol.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aftermarket quality , and build to OE specification varies widely. Also it may be a Walker , at what model , sound level?
Resonators are designed for performance sound. I remember the Thrush performance were a mellow perf sound. But the Cherry Bombs were a bang sound , more of just the cylinder firing , pop,pop,pop, than the wah, wah wah, of the thrush. That could be the match, cherry sound reduction, then your after muffler cuts the pop,pop,pop.
Sounds like a science project? Huh ,get it? :Big Laugh:

KY-N

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a second muffler. There’s no other exhaust leaks?
Only leak it has is the big round one behind the right rear tires where all the noise comes out
And don't rule out hushmat, I love that stuff!
This is something I have been thinking about but the thought of removing all the 32 year old trim that I am sure some will break is the main reason I have not gone down that rabbit hole.
Makes me wonder what muffler is on it.
Knowing the shop owner I will bet it is the cheapest muffler he could get in spite of me telling him I wanted it QUIET. Cannot find a name on it and the receipt only has 3020 muffler as the description.

Right now I think the second muffler is the direction I am going to take and hope for the best.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Only leak it has is the big round one behind the right rear tires where all the noise comes out

This is something I have been thinking about but the thought of removing all the 32 year old trim that I am sure some will break is the main reason I have not gone down that rabbit hole.

Knowing the shop owner I will bet it is the cheapest muffler he could get in spite of me telling him I wanted it QUIET. Cannot find a name on it and the receipt only has 3020 muffler as the description.

Right now I think the second muffler is the direction I am going to take and hope for the best.

Forgive me if this was already addressed, but are there any markings on the muffler?