Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that side door is around 6+' as one would expect maybe some , at least partial attic space could be created? Just kind of thinking out loud. I thinf you said 12'walls but not sure
Thanks - I hadn’t thought of that. The walls are 12’, and on the end where the 6’ rollup door is, it’s taller.

There is potentially some overhead space to be had.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm excited for you! Been following along since you started this thread. I'm living vicariously through you as this is very close to what I would have built for myself! Looks awesome!
Got some extra cash you don't need? lol
Thank you! It seems that it’s just the right size, considering the available space and, of course, the available cash. Which is being consumed rather quickly!

The last item to be installed, once the building’s up, the apron’s installed, and the floor is sealed, is the two post lift. But that may have to wait for a bit.

In the meantime, working on a smooth concrete floor, out of the weather, will be a huge step up from my gravel driveway. I’ll be able to use my floor jacks and creeper!

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! It does seem like an early Christmas present! Too bad it won’t be wired up right away, so I could hang some lights on it!
You could temporarily run an extension cord or two from the house, then buy some plug in shop lights from Home Depot to get light. That's what I did for my shed. Didn't have to run any electrical inside. They just plug in end to end.

Then when your electrician installs the permanent lighting you could use them for "over the work bench" task lighting.

You must be registered for see images attach

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could temporarily run an extension cord or two from the house, then buy some plug in shop lights from Home Depot to get light. That's what I did for my shed. Didn't have to run any electrical inside. They just plug in end to end.

Then when your electrician installs the permanent lighting you could use them for "over the work bench" task lighting.

That’s a great idea! Hadn’t thought of that!
Temp Lighting might not matter much until you get the roll up doors.
Correct. But even once the doors are in, it will still take me a while to wire it. So temp lighting seems like a viable approach.
oh, and BTW, it is looking good! (should have said that 1st)
Thanks! They’re back on the job, complete with sound track!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the recommendation of a friend, I called Commonwealth Garage Doors to get an estimate. They’re sending someone out on Monday to look at the building and take measurements.

I’ll also call Amelia Overhead Door for an updated estimate, since theirs was based on two 9 x 8s and a 10 x 10, instead of two 10 x 10s and one 9 x 8.

I find it interesting that Amelia provided an estimate based on a phone conversation, rather than requiring a site visit.