383 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kblack24

Reaction score
I am looking to replace the engine in my 1997 3500. Currently I have 5.7 350 that is not usable to rebuild. Looking to get 400 plus HP.

Any recommendations for a crate long block or fully dressed engine that will work with the spider injection system. A lot of the 383’s I am finding will not work with the updated MPFI system in the last few years of the OBS trucks.

Any ideas would be very helpful.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a crate long block or fully dressed engine that will work with the spider injection system. A lot of the 383’s I am finding will not work with the updated MPFI system in the last few years of the OBS trucks.
In this case "will not work with" can be subjective. A 383 with a Vortec intake pattern should physically bolt in place. Tuning is a separate issue, and at 400 hp tuning is a must.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's one putting out ~430HP with their heads and a 750CFM carb. You can throw your heads and intake on it. Then, as Erik said, tune, tune, tune!

www.blueprintengines.com/products/blueprint-engines-383ci-stroker-crate-engine-small-block-gm-shortblock-plus-bp38318sp

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
" Will not work with ....". Ah it's a given that TBI are apples and Vortec are oranges. That's not a negative is a parts choice of what you choose or what parts work for you. Building a TBI or a Vortec.

Kblack24

Reaction score
What? GM advertised there 383 engine was an approved drop in to replace / upgrade your 96 to 99 truck.
What do you know and from whom did you get this info?
Yes, Chevrolet offers the engine below, but the horsepower is at 323HP looking for a little more power "400 HP" for that price tag.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, Chevrolet offers the engine below, but the horsepower is at 323HP looking for a little more power "400 HP" for that price tag.
The differences between the GM and the BP engines are the BP has less dish in their pistons (giving you more compression) and cam (higher lift and duration). But, the BP is really 377 Cu In, not 383 - who cares when you get to 400+ HP ;)

Last edited:

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score

blueprint makes a 383 vortec as well it even has aluminum heads I do not know for shore but I think that the chevy one is measured in gross ratings the blueprint one say +47hp at the wheels and +55ftlbs at the wheels I do not know what the gains are at the crank or how to do the math to find out https://blueprintengines.com/produc...xtydd2BWn9Ek5aJ-EaBm990jC4zBgAGZqMrOiwgQjJ7pz