1992 454 is to loud for me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KY-N

Reaction score
My question for the masses is there a muffler that will quiet this truck down? Right after I bought the truck I had the muffler replaced since the one on it was split. The muffler shop claims the muffler they put on it is the same as the factory muffler however you must really speak up to be heard over the exhaust tone, it is not that much more quiet than the split muffler was. In fact my wife tells me all the time she can tell when I am almost home because she hears the truck and my SIL is always keeping tabs on my comings and goings because of the distinctive exhaust note. If I were 50 years younger I would be proud and happy with the sound but now days the loudest noise I want in the cab is when I fart.

The exhaust appears to be factory other than the cat is gone and it has what looks like a resonator in its' place. The muffler the shop put on appears to be the same size as the one that was removed. I do not expect to get it Tesla quiet but surely it can be better than it is, I am open to suggestions.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This will sound crazy but add a cherry bomb glass pack before the muffler and it will make a huge sound reduction! I had a noisy Chevy tracker with a flowmaster the previous owner added. Once I added the glass pack before the muffler it was like night and day!

He did say there is a resonator in place of the car already so it sounds like that is covered. The 454 is not easy to keep quiet. Mine has a Walker factory replacement on the plow truck and while it does cruise quietly it has a little bark to it if you get on it. Not aftermarket loud, but not stock quiet by any means.

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
that seems odd to for the short time I that the 454 in frank'n truck running still need to do some wiring on it have a bunch of thing bypassed/hotwired you to try it with no cat a manifolds stock 454 tbi ypipe and stock 6.5 turbo diesel exhaust pipe and muffler it is not that loud

KY-N

Reaction score
Can you find out exactly what the muffler shop put on for comparison sake? That or fart louder.
Not positive but reasonably sure it was a Walker. I took the truck to a second shop and the guy said to try a take off from a diesel that MIGHT quiet it down.
add a cherry bomb glass pack before the muffler and it will make a huge sound reduction
I had thought about a second muffler but then decided it was a dumb idea, guess not... I'll look into it.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a second muffler. There’s no other exhaust leaks?