Anyone had Rock auto do this to them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I look at it this way. Manufacturer support from GM was gone a long time ago. We're getting aftermaket support from GM becasue they have an all makes/models aftermarket parts business. Any scraps we find in the Genuine GM parts line, is likley becasue it was also used in newer vehicles.
Which works out for me because because a lot of my body parts on my 97 Van are still being made today in 2024. Need a door handle, it is still the same one, door weatherstrip, same thing, blower motor, heater core, etc. From the firewall back most of the body stuff is still from 1996.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very little was coming from over seas at that point. Our trucks are mostly N. American. GM may have had sources in Asia for 40 years, but remember they've had plants all over the
world.

I don't think I've seen anything labeled Taiwan on my truck. It's all been US, Canada, Mexico.... and my exhaust manifolds say Austria, which has always suprised me.
I have actually found China labeled factory stuff on my 97 Express although a vast majority was Canada. Not much from Mexico as built. Some USA stuff but vastly out numbered by the Canadian stuff.

IIRC it was either the front turn signal lenses or the tailights that were China.

Last edited:

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You got a name besides SRI? All Google is giving me is a logistics company and Indian doctors.

First guess, is that they're a casting and/or forging company, providing those parts to GM. I've never heard of another company producing engines for GM other than Mercury Marine with the LT5 for the 90's ZR-1.
My apology. It's SRC --- and before ya jump, springfield reman does a whole lot more than reman --- SRC also happens to supply Mercury Marine and Harley Davidson. Dig deeper.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My apology. It's SRC --- and before ya jump, springfield reman does a whole lot more than reman --- SRC also happens to supply Mercury Marine and Harley Davidson. Dig deeper.

I'm seeing that SRC rebuilds engines for those companies. That's a lot different than building new engines. I do see where SRC says they do the GM Performance crate engines for GM. I'm not seeing anything about regular production engines that go into new vehicles.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm seeing that SRC rebuilds engines for those companies. That's a lot different than building new engines. I do see where SRC says they do the GM Performance crate engines for GM. I'm not seeing anything about regular production engines that go into new vehicles.
Just 'cuz you ain't heard of something don't mean it ain't so. I've heard that Kameltoe can cure both cancer & world hunger; but I rather doubt it. You're so right: rebuilding an old tired motor versus creating a brand new one is like comparing apples and armadillos.
Fact: Several years back, Production of new L31 replacement engines AND (L31's cousin the very popular) 602 CT race crates was moved from Mexico to Springfield MO; thanks, in part, to president Trump ending NAFTA and creating USMCA in its place.
I'll grant ya this: it's true that GM & SRC did not campaign all over popular TV & print media describing those changes. These dynamics were not spoon-fed to the masses. Dig deeper sir. Until this week, perhaps you'd never heard of SRC ? Well, consider this. You're not SRC's customer nor partner; GM is.
Perhaps it's also likely you'd never heard of SRI either ? Originally HQd at St Louis, SRI no longer exists as SRI (merger) but did supply all US auto manufacturers as SRI (Siegal-Robert) for decades; with injection molded plastic parts. But, if you'll look closely at the back side of any your trucks' front grill bowtie or gmc plastic emblems --- look close & ya just might find tiny "SRI" callouts that came from the SRI molds (I was there, sir).

But back to SRC ---
SRC proved its mettle to GM et al loong ago with its history of quality remanufacturing; SRC proved it had adequate capabilities to properly build new engines as well --- so GM tapped SRC. These matters were spoken of in several trade publications-periodicals (and I don't mean boy racer rags). Perhaps you can access older issues of SAE's Automotive Engineering ? Also, probably referenced in Business, Economics & Political publications as well. I've been employed within this industry (Mobility aka automotive manufacturing) for quite some time; as both a Tier 1 and Tier 2 supplier to GM, and most others, and some of their suppliers. Same for decades-long membership in ASQ & SAE w/ certs; end TMI.

It's been a Global biz for a loong time. There are so many, many companies supplying auto parts or services to OEMs that neither you or I can know em all; nor keep up with who's in bed with who.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I have an ACDelco R4 Compressor. It has to be genuine, it even says "Printed in USA" :biggrin:

You must be registered for see images attach
You do realize you used the wrong crimp on those insulated butt connections right?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, every part sold by Acdelco is manufactured for Acdelco. That being said, I’ve never seen a gold Acdelco box.
Good timing for that too. Just put Delco plugs in my 383. They were in Gold boxes even the individual plugs were.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good timing for that too. Just put Delco plugs in my 383. They were in Gold boxes even the individual plugs were.

Must be kind of a new thing I guess.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do realize you used the wrong crimp on those insulated butt connections right?
Not for this application plus, I wrapped all that stuff in convoluted harness - we went through this a couple years ago. Come live in the desert and try it, you'll like it! ;)

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not the application. It's the type of connector and tool used. What does the desert have do with under hood heat? It's been 100 ° plus here for the last 12 days. Is that your choice or were taught that method?