4L60E Information Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions
If you saw this what would recommend?
There is a welch plug that is pressed into the end of those slip yokes. Apparently yours is leaking. You may try to seal it by cleaning it well with carb cleaner making sure you get it completely de-oiled and smearing ultra grey silicone sealer around the perimeter of that plug. If it's a daily driver then do it in the evening so it has all night for the silicone to cure. There's a good chance you may need to pull the driveshaft so you can flex the joint to get in there to clean and seal it.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a welch plug that is pressed into the end of those slip yokes. Apparently yours is leaking. You may try to seal it by cleaning it well with carb cleaner making sure you get it completely de-oiled and smearing ultra grey silicone sealer around the perimeter of that plug. If it's a daily driver then do it in the evening so it has all night for the silicone to cure. There's a good chance you may need to pull the driveshaft so you can flex the joint to get in there to clean and seal it.
I thought the output shaft seal was bad. But seen a lot of mixed info on silicone. I thought by plugging the hole, you'll cause damage?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's dry around the output shaft seal.
I'm referring to the internal output shaft seal.
I thought the output shaft seal was bad. But seen a lot of mixed info on silicone. I thought by plugging the hole, you'll cause damage?
Yes trans rebuilt and that's what they did. Me being a over thinking pain in the ass felt like they were being lazy not to replace the internal seal. I replaced the yoke way before the trans rebuild and never had an issue. Now 1 week after the rebuild its leaking. Knowing how lazy people are they most likely didn't replace the seal to begin with.
I just figured there's a hole there for a reason and by plugging it would cause some type of long term damage or something. Btw the original yoke had a hole as well. Truck a 98 c1500 burb

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got the problem diagnosed. I would be taking it back down there and having them finish the job.
Yes,if it has the internal sleeve seal then it needs a vent in the yoke.