Wheel bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'm having them do the carrier bearing u joints and the lift pump. The pump decided to blow its guts out in their parking lot overnight. I'm not going to drive it with it spewing fuel every where or else I'd do it myself. I have the knowledge to do the bearing and u joint but reason I'm having them do them is that I can't lay on my back. I have several bulged disks and laying on my back is a no go position. If I lay on it for a extended amount of time(like 5 or more minutes) It goes into spasm mode and feels like my spine is getting ripped out. If I had a hoist or a pit I would do them myself but I don't have that option.
I have back problems, gets real stiff, if I lay on the asphalt or concrete. My girl got me these 4' x 8' roll out pads about 3/8" thick. Great to lay on and can stack them. You can set jack stands and use a floor jack on them.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have back problems, gets real stiff, if I lay on the asphalt or concrete. My girl got me these 4' x 8' roll out pads about 3/8" thick. Great to lay on and can stack them. You can set jack stands and use a floor jack on them.
I might have to look into those. I can use a creeper but only if I lay on my side. With me on my side everything has to be even higher. I have a set of 12 ton jack stands so I can get it almost high enough to be able to move around a bit. What limits me is my jack. It goes just high enough to get the stand under at its lowest point. A better jack is on the list of things to get once I get recovered from the tire and other repair bill.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it's been a while since I've had to by wheel bearings. Took my 99 to have tires and they had a list of things that they though where issues and I know there was going to be things they would find then i could laying on my back. I trust the shop and am having them take care of a few things I don't want to deal with. One thing they said it needs is front wheel bearings. The short amount that I messed with them I didn't see any issues and am going to have another look when I get it back. Any way who is the go to manufacturer for bearings. I know Timken used to be good but I've heard they are going to china made. Who else is out there that has decent bearings?
Yes, Timken is all china now, and they still want full price! Check Yukon Gear, not sure if they moved to china yet.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I might have to look into those. I can use a creeper but only if I lay on my side. With me on my side everything has to be even higher. I have a set of 12 ton jack stands so I can get it almost high enough to be able to move around a bit. What limits me is my jack. It goes just high enough to get the stand under at its lowest point. A better jack is on the list of things to get once I get recovered from the tire and other repair bill.
When I know I am going to be under the vehicle for long enough time, I stack 3 of those pads under there and is like laying on a foam mattress but has a diamond plate grid on it and will stick where you put it, They come in different sizes too. I am 71 years old and use them all the time.

Get ahold of 911 Motorsports for a jack pad extension. I have one and it works perfectly.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I know I am going to be under the vehicle for long enough time, I stack 3 of those pads under there and is like laying on a foam mattress but has a diamond plate grid on it and will stick where you put it, They come in different sizes too. I am 71 years old and use them all the time.

Get ahold of 911 Motorsports for a jack pad extension. I have one and it works perfectly.

I'll look into those. I'm 30 years younger then you but feel like im your age or older sometimes. Every one I know that is in the trade I'm in has developed back problems after 15-20 years of doing it. I've been doing it 18 years and wish I would have done the job differently when I was younger.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'll look into those. I'm 30 years younger then you but feel like im your age or older sometimes. Every one I know that is in the trade I'm in has developed back problems after 15-20 years of doing it. I've been doing it 18 years and wish I would have done the job differently when I was younger.
I was in the auto/light truck repair business approx 45 years. The first 10 as an every day tech. I have found that standing under a lift, at my current age, is harder on me than laying on my back under a vehicle. My girl frets over it more but I am very safe with my stands and ramps set ups. I recently was back in a one man shop with a twin post lift and the reaching up and twisting and partial squat was harder on me than I thought it would be.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Yes, Timken is all china now, and they still want full price! Check Yukon Gear, not sure if they moved to china yet.
When I did wheel bearings on the SS (similar unit bearing construction) I bought some AC Delco bearings, hoping for the best, but ready for disappointment. They were made in Korea. Not sure if I think that's any better than China, but at least they had the GM/AC Delco hologram label on the box, right? :/

Bearings made in Korea..
Brake pads made in Mexico..
Rotors made in [citation needed] so we can assume the worst

But none of it was cheap!

I will add, those bearings have been in the truck for 55K miles now rolling a set of 22's, so I guess I could have done worse.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Last edited:

RMRP

Reaction score
The front wheel bearing assemblies use diferent bearing technologies either a pair of angular contact bearings or a pair of tapered bearings I am of the mind that tapered bearings are stronger in this relativly slow speed, high load condition, so select my bearings based on this criteria and have found that the Timken packs for my 97 and 93 use tapered bearings. I have only had to change from the originals and went with the Timken.