pinion seal replacement trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whyyy shouldn’t i be changing my axle seals and bearings out at this point also?
You should be.

Also, I won't ever go back with a crush sleeve. Get a solid spacer instead. With wear, crush sleeves crush even more. They're designed to last until the warranty expires.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My understanding is that the crush sleeve doesn't do anything for preload, it's there to apply constant pressure on the outboard pinion bearing. It acts like a lock washer. I've seen the crush sleeve eliminator kits, but what's the benefit?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My understanding is that the crush sleeve doesn't do anything for preload, it's there to apply constant pressure on the outboard pinion bearing. It acts like a lock washer. I've seen the crush sleeve eliminator kits, but what's the benefit?

Is not applying pressure to a bearing preloading a bearing?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I" would not replace any bearing that I can't show as defective.

You're more likely to get a low-quality Made-In-Third-World bearing that's worse than the OEM bearing...IF the original bearing is in good condition.

Don't get me started on folks scarring the housing getting the old axle-shaft bearing(s) out, because they're not skilled/experienced at bearing removal.

In short...don't cause problems for yourself. If it's not defective, L-I-T-F-A.

Isaacmacleod

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i found a neat trick for getting the c clips and pulling the axles
if you tilt the carrier so that the c clips will fall out into the carrier with gravity
then just push in the axle and spin it a few times, the c clip will just clink
fall out
and then you can pull the axle
no finicking with pulling the c clip via a screwdriver

Last edited:

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is not applying pressure to a bearing preloading a bearing?
Only the threads and nut apply bearing preload. The outer bearing isn't a press fit, it just slides on and off. The crush sleeve keeps a small amount of tension on the inner bearing race. My question was what does a solid steel spacer do that improves the function of the rear end.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only the threads and nut apply bearing preload. The outer bearing isn't a press fit, it just slides on and off. The crush sleeve keeps a small amount of tension on the inner bearing race. My question was what does a solid steel spacer do that improves the function of the rear end.

Hello Vikingdude,

I've always had similar questions myself, but thanks to a short video in this reply
all the mystery surrounding crush sleeves has been removed for yours truly.
Take a look and see if this doesn't do the trick for you too.

Best of luck with your repair effort --

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this looks over crushed lol
img_6413-jpeg.384608

Unless there's hidden damage that I don't see, that pinion-head bearing looks BEAUTIFUL. I would not remove it unless you see signs of failure on the outer race, or the rollers facing away from the camera.

If the other bearing and outer race--the one that goes on the other side of the crush-sleeve--looks just as nice, I'd slam a new crush sleeve in place, re-use both bearings and therefore all the same shims, and have at it.

The less you disturb, the fewer problems you create IF the parts are in reusable condition--and it seems that they may be.