Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattbrooks

Reaction score
Hello all! I just purchased a 1996 Tahoe sport with only 55k miles here in Japan. I bought the truck just through video chat as it's on the other side of the country (I'm quite far up north in Iwate). The truck is currently wrapped (which is coming off ASAP) so I decided to decode the VIN and pay for the options list. I will not see the truck for a couple weeks so of course me being excited and extremely impatient I have some questions in regards to the trim codes on this truck. I know the truck is black with a paint code of (41U) but it has a two tone code of (ZY2) and apparently the secondary color is light plum metallic (91L)? | have never seen a black Tahoe with secondary color of plum metallic.. has anyone seen this before? Is this a rare color combination? I can’t seem to find it anywhere on Google.

Another question is what is the sport equipment package? (BYP)

I appreciate any advice or insight from the fellow Chevy community!

Attachments

• IMG_8504.jpeg
    IMG_8504.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8539.png
    IMG_8539.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8538.png
    IMG_8538.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

Mattbrooks

Reaction score
If it was black, it would have looked like this. The Sport was an appearance package - dark gray colored grille, wheel flares, lower two-tone and bumpers.

You must be registered for see images attach
Thank you! Was the chrome bumpers and grille an appearance upgrade? It appears it has the sport wheel arch moldings and two tone paint (all sport options ) but chrome bumpers and grilles…

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The paint in your photo wouldn’t be original - the bottom portion would have been Argent gray on the Sport regardless of upper color.

The grille is a GM part (aftermarket grilles have a slightly different surround on the bowtie emblem) but it and the bumper would not have been chrome on the BYP trim. All other trims would have used that chrome grille, though.

Aftermarket grille quality is usually poor, so I’d say that it’s a plus if they used a GM replacement part on it.

It looks like a nice truck - I wish my paint looked that good!

Mattbrooks

Reaction score
The paint in your photo wouldn’t be original - the bottom portion would have been Argent gray on the Sport regardless of upper color.

The grille is a GM part (aftermarket grilles have a slightly different surround on the bowtie emblem) but it and the bumper would not have been chrome on the BYP trim. All other trims would have used that chrome grille, though.

Aftermarket grille quality is usually poor, so I’d say that it’s a plus if they used a GM replacement part on it.

It looks like a nice truck - I wish my paint looked that good!
It’s actually wrapped and was wrapped quite some time ago so the removal process will be quite substantial hence why I got it crazy cheap. This truck was immediately imported to Japan in 1996 and was never insured to a buyer in North America. The odds of it having aftermarket bumpers and grilles are quite low. I’m curious if it’s a true SPORT if you could upgrade to the chrome options instead of the painted bumper and grille option. In the VIN decode it has the codes for both the sport option and the chrome bumper options. So I’m confused a little bit.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I just purchased a 1996 Tahoe sport with only 55k miles here in Japan.

Someone has one of those in Japan?

I've seen garbage trucks in Japan that were smaller than a 2dr Yukon.

I almost walked out in front of one, once (a garbage truck), while there as I wasn't yet accustomed to looking RIGHT instead of left when walking into the street.

To this day, in the States or wherever, I always look BOTH ways before stepping off a curb.

Last edited:

Mattbrooks

Reaction score
Yes actually currently a handful for sale across the used car platforms. All of them have double if not triple the mileage that mine has. There is no discrepancies in regards to the age of vehicle when importing to Japan. So with that being said you can find all sorts of new and older American cars, trucks and SUV’s but you will be paying a premium price unfortunately.

Mattbrooks

Reaction score
Someone has one of those in Japan?

I've seen garbage trucks in Japan that were smaller than a 2dr Yukon.

I almost walked out in front of one, once (a garbage truck), while there as I wasn't yet accustomed to looking LEFT instead of right when walking into the street.

To this day, in the States or wherever, I always look BOTH ways before stepping off a curb.
And yes the garbage trucks are quite small. They also play music as they roll around which is kind of strange. I also own a Honda kei truck for a work vehicle and it’s extremely small hence why I needed an upgrade. My wife drives a 2002 Honda CRV and in perspective it’s quite large compared to the other cars on the road.