How to identify 350 from 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,,,

I'm new here.

Would like to know how to identify a 350 from a 454?

Greetings Usama_moosawi,

Welcome to the GMT400 forum. Always neat to see folks from around the world join
fellow enthusiasts of this generation of the General's full size truck/SUV production.

The center exhaust ports on a small-block Chevy are simaesed. On a big-block each exhaust port is separate. That's the quickest way to tell as you're walking up to an engine.

Erik has described the the telltale way to differentiate between the two. Here's a photo that illustrates what he described:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's hoping that you enjoy smooth sailing as you dip a toe into the old truck hobby.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, just wow. First thing valve covers, huge. Second exhaust ports equally spaced, as said ∆ , small block middle ports connected together. Fills the whole engine bay.
Just get a couple photos off the Google image search.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,,,

I'm new here.

Would like to know how to identify a 350 from a 454?
Do you mean how to identify small blocks from big blocks? Asking just in case you have one of these laying around -