Trashed my fresh 4l60e with too high stall?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weirdovan

Reaction score
New here and I did some searches but wasn’t able to find what I’m looking for. So here’s be question.

I got 4K miles out of a fresh 4l60e with a FTI TC. Was cruising 70mph, came to a stop, and all gears became neutral. Cooled down a couple hours and was able to drive it onto a trailer. Pulled the pan and it’s full of metal. I do not have a trans temp gauge but am suspecting heat might have destroyed the TC?
Ok, that’s the back story…. Now I’m getting it all rebuilt but was told to go with a l6 trailblazer TC for cruising. Only problem is GM no longer sells them. I’m not going racing or have over 400hp so I’m not buying another 3000ish stall converter.

What is everyone running for about 2400-2500 stall since the Trailblazer TC is discontinued? I don’t want to buy junk and repeat this rebuild a third time, but not interested in dropping a grand on a TC for a street cruiser either.

5.3 LS w/ BTR truck norris cam, 4L60e, FTI brawler 2800 TC (flashes about 3100), 3.73 gears, 28” tire, guessing about 3500lbs

Attachments

• IMG_1266.jpeg
    IMG_1266.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 9

95burban

Friends don’t let friends use spindles.
Reaction score
Do you have a trans cooler? I also haven’t heard good things about those converters either, it probably took a shiit and took out the trans.

A good quality lock up converter is what you need. My buddy just finished up race week with a 4l80e with a large lock up converter no issues. I believe it was close to 2k miles

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New here and I did some searches but wasn’t able to find what I’m looking for. So here’s be question.

I got 4K miles out of a fresh 4l60e with a FTI TC. Was cruising 70mph, came to a stop, and all gears became neutral. Cooled down a couple hours and was able to drive it onto a trailer. Pulled the pan and it’s full of metal. I do not have a trans temp gauge but am suspecting heat might have destroyed the TC?
Ok, that’s the back story…. Now I’m getting it all rebuilt but was told to go with a l6 trailblazer TC for cruising. Only problem is GM no longer sells them. I’m not going racing or have over 400hp so I’m not buying another 3000ish stall converter.

What is everyone running for about 2400-2500 stall since the Trailblazer TC is discontinued? I don’t want to buy junk and repeat this rebuild a third time, but not interested in dropping a grand on a TC for a street cruiser either.

5.3 LS w/ BTR truck norris cam, 4L60e, FTI brawler 2800 TC (flashes about 3100), 3.73 gears, 28” tire, guessing about 3500lbs
The stall speed itself didn't cause the failure, I have built plenty of transmissions that received converters in that 2800-3200 stall speed in various vehicles/applications. I'm guessing the converter itself let go (unfortunately it happens from time to time). Heat may have played a role but if your system had no restrictions, you weren't engaged in extreme racing, towing or hauling all the time I suspect the converter had a defect or two and just went.

Find a local converter builder in your area to go through the TC. Ask him to inspect the insides to see if he's able to tell what specifically failed or where it started. Then let him know what you want and have him rebuild it for you...Will likely be more cost effective vs ordering online.