Carb or Spider Inj?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys,

I've had two people this week tell me that I should dispense with the spider injection and swap in a performer intake and carb setup. Telling me I can get some decent gains from that.

I have my doubts, but I am intrigued.

Have any of you done this and if yes, what did you do and what were the results?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not their truck. Ask around enough and you'll realize there are lots of opinions from people who have no skin in the game.

What is your purpose for the truck? If it's reliable and you need it for trucky things, then don't f*** it up. If you want to race, go buy something 2000 lbs lighter. But this is my opinion. It's your truck, do what you want. My truck is for trucky stuff, but I couldn't leave well enough alone and I went with a big cam and had to upgrade to a Holley Sniper.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want it mainly for trucky stuff and some light offroading. As it stands, it's sort of gutless. I wouldn't mind camming it, but not sure what path to take for that and not sure how to get it tuned afterward.

So you deleted the Spider Inj and went Holley sniper huh? Were you able to integrate it into your electronics somehow or is it only able to work with their controller?
Excuse the ignorance, but I don't have much experience with the sniper.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No benefit with a stock or even midly modified setup only drawbacks IMO. With a good tune the stock Vortec EFI system is more than capable of supporting a 400-450 HP engine reliably. Even a stock engine with long tubes, decent exhaust and tuning is no slouch. Last one I tuned with ebay 1-5/8 long tube headers, 2.5 dual exhaust to the magnaflow dual in/single out muffler, high flow cats and a Volant intake made 250 whp and 320 wtq through a 4L60E. I set it up for the later model E-fans and no real power gain after but it did get a little better fuel mileage for him. He never towed with the truck so the E-fans worked out for him.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's awesome man. Those were my suspicions as well.

So far I have:

shorties with 2.5" to a dual in/dual out flowmaster.

1.6 rockers

volant intake

electric fans

The biggest hurdle for me at the moment is the tune.