94 C1500 TBI and 4l60E transmission to mechanical swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KilRoyWasHere

Reaction score
Hello Guy, thanks for the correction and clarification on the radiator. I'm not sure if I was thinking of the LS's or perhaps a whole different brand of vehicle entirely. I guess I'm just retarded or my memory has me showing my ass.

PlayingWithTBI thanks for the heads up on ATK, I had not realized how bad the reviews on them were. But it also looks like other companies like Jasper are having problems with the quality of their products. I will definitely look at other options, maybe just rebuilding the L05 that's in it.

Erik, I understand that the way I've stated some things I come off sounding ignorant and not capable but that's not the case. I am new to such a big project but not to working on all these things individually. My truck is not show room but it's not a beater either. In the end it will be worth about what I'll have in it. But it will be what I want and that has less to do with pride and more to do with not settling. Thank you for pointing out that it will be harder than I think and that it might not be worth it finicaily in the end but that doesn't bother me, it's a project I want to take on. I'm going to reply to your post directly about the fuel tank but I wanted to thank all of you in one post rather than replying to you each individually.

Thanks again everyone

KilRoyWasHere

Reaction score
It sounds like you're new to the hobby and don't have a lot of experience, and you think getting rid of the electronics will get rid of your problems. An all-mechanical setup on a truck that wasn't all mechanical to begin with is a recipe for more problems. If you can't answer your own question about the fuel pump, your skill level isn't up to this. You'll be facing a lot of small problems along the way that will require experience.

I'm not telling you "don't do it", instead I'm telling you that this will require a lot more learning curve than just learning how to correctly diagnose the EFI.

For far less than the $6900 you're currently budgeting you can pay someone else to fix it right. Sure, it's a hit to your pride if you want to be a "truck guy", but it's a practical solution. I won't fault a guy for using the money wrench when it makes sense. I farm stuff out all the time. Spending $6900 chasing a driveability problem on a truck that's likely not worth $6900 (I'm guessing here, apologies if your truck is showroom clean) doesn't make sense.
Hello Erik,

You mentioned me not being able to figure out the fuel pump problem but I have a couple ideas. I was hoping that before I got elbow deep in it maybe someone would have done this already and have an answer for me but if not that's cool.

I haven't found a replacement mechanical fuel sending unit for the 94 if there is even one out there. But one thought that I had was maybe using a fuel sending unit from a 1980s C1500. Now my memory maybe making an ass of me again but I was thinking their tanks were similar in size and the 80s C1500 fuel sending unit had the same style locking ring and cap (I don't know what else to call the metal portion that the lines run through and the locking ring tightens around, so I'm going with cap.) I could go pull one off a truck we have and compare it but it's in a grassbur patch and I don't want to have to do that. So if anyone knows if that will work please let me know.

If not do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again for realization of what I'm getting myself into.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skip the mechanical fuel pump and run a Vortec pump in the TBI sending unit. It fits perfectly. Put a bypass fuel pressure regulator on the fuel fittings and then run the regulated fuel supply to your carb.