My "new" 1996 Mercedes Benz C220

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Just a few little things today. I replaced the o-ring on the dip stick, and the gasket on the oil fill cap. Plus put a couple more parts that came in the same shipment into my parts drawer.

One of those parts is a torque converter drain plug gasket. It sure would be nice if GM gave us a drain plug on torque converters. I know many people will disconnect a cooler line and pump the ATF out, but a drain plug seems like a good idea, to me, too.

Found out the owners manual doesn't fit in the glove box....ok, that's weird. I could swear that's were I originally found it, though.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Pulled the airbox apart a few days ago and just got it scrubbed up. It still had some stuck on mouse nest remnants and cleaning up air intakes seems to be a thing I like getting done.

I'll clean up the engine compartment a bit more along with installing new spark plugs, before the box goes back in.

You must be registered for see images attach

jtmed

Reaction score
So I bought a 76K mile Mercedes. I know nothing of MB, but am quickly learning. It's a W202 platform, and is the first of the C class that replaces the old 190 that MB did so well with.

I got it at auction like I did my Volvos. I think this is a donated car, like many of the nicer cars I find at the auction house. Speaking of houses, it must have sat for a number of years as it was a house for a mouse. Furthermore, the tires have decent tread, but they're old enough to be graduating high school... 06 date code.

It's a naturally aspirated 2.2L 4 cylinder, so it's no power house. Only 148hp, I think. That makes it 20hp less than my NA Volvo 850, but the MB doesn't have to spin as fast to make peak power, so I'm hoping that at normal driving rpms, the power won't be much different than the Volvo. Flying down the highway its spinning at about 3500rpm. whereas my Volvo is more like 3100.

So far, I've only cleaned out the few items the previous owner left, and thoroughly charged the battery. MB doesn't mess around with batteries. It's a 900 CCA 150RC monster.... and funnily enough an AC Delco. I don't see a date code unfortunately. I'm going to run it, for now, unless I have issues with it. I suspect it's older than it looks. It's in the trunk, so it's has stayed clean/nice looking.

Currently, I'm waiting on parts. Serpentine belt, tensioner shock, oil filter, oil plug drain gaskets, and an air filter. The tensioner shock is something I've never seen before. It's for the serpentine belt tensioner, and the bushings are known for going bad, and then it rattles like a timing chain. It's something I read about while researching before bidding on the car.

Oh, today I had a nice surprise. I'm fishing around in a blind spot and I pull out two screws, that I suspect may have been used for the license plate. I feel around some more, and I can feel something else, but am struggling to get a hold of it. I finally get it, and I'm holding a dead dry mouse.

Here is one of the pictures from the auction house. Something that stood out to me on the drive home was that it's been forever since I've driven a car with a proper hood ornament.

This is one old Mercedes Benz

jtmed

Reaction score
Does it still run well with no mechanical issues? If it does probably give it a new style with the body work, something classy that stands out

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Does it still run well with no mechanical issues?

I think it idles a little low, when in gear. I'm going to change the plugs, clean the throttle body and MAF and see if that makes s difference. Then I'll start looking at sensor readings if I need to.

If it does probably give it a new style with the body work, something classy that stands out

I don't have any modification ambitions. The only thing I can think of is possibly going to AMG rims if I were to find some at a decent price

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Small update. I haven't had much time to work on the car, but I did get the plugs changed about a week or so ago and got the engine compartment cleaned up too...also cleaned the MAF and throttle body.

Today, I finally did something about the shift knob that's been bugging me. The emblem had come off on the previous owner, but thankfully they tucked it away in the car. I cleaned the knob up and glued the badge on. It's leather wrapped and I started thinking about conditioners. I know nothing about leather so I needed to do some googling. Turns out lanolin is good for leather. So for something as small as a shift knob I decided to just spray it with Fluidfilm and wipe off the excess with a microfiber. It's "drying" now, out on the garage. Hopefully it works.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just put the shift knob back on the car. The leather has some give to it now, and isn't greasy feeling, so that's a win. However, while gluing the badge back on, the glue that squeezed out, and I tried wiping off, apparently left little black stained spots. It must be a chemical reaction, because the glue dries clear. I can't see the spots unless I have my glasses on, so I guess there's that.

I wouldn't mind trying Fluidfilm on something else leather.... trying to think what else I might have other than Volvo seats.